Buying components on Mouser

Started by alex_spaceman, January 13, 2012, 12:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex_spaceman

Hey everyone,

firstly please bare with me. My knowledge in terms of electronics is rather humble, and only limited to effect pedals related subjects only. I did try to research the internet and the forum, but could hardly find any precise information.

I'm looking to stock up a few components and start a couple projects from scratch on vero board. After having pretty much made my mind up on where to buy etc, I found out Mouser is here in the UK as well, and their choice is ridiculously vast compared to anything I found before.

I've seen for most parts (resistors, caps, transistors, you name it) they offer more than one option, at slightly different prices, so the question is, would any component do, or is there a criteria for me to chose them? For instance, if I'm looking for 2N5210 trannies to put in a green ringer, would any 2N5210 do the trick? Central's are 19p per item, whereas Fairchild's just over 4p? Am I right in supposing there's a catch? And if there is, is it relevant in terms of pedal making?

Same for instance for 1N914, with prices anywhere from 2 to 15p, or resistors, capacitors... Haven't really checked in depth further.

Which parameters must be looked out for? Or is it a safer bet to buy as much as I can off of Dr Tweek safe in the knowledge his stuff will work for my cause?

Again, sorry for the very very basic questions, but I hope this can be of use to others, too. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time
Alex

Seven64

just make sure they are thru hole components.  mouser and many other sites offer both thru hole and SMD parts. 

have you checked out tayda electronics?  they have great prices on caps, resistors, trannys, and vero board.  they also sell hookup wire, leds, and stomp switches.  the only thing i would advise against from tayda is their 1/4" jacks.  their IC's are also of slightly less quality, but nothing too noticeable.

alex_spaceman

Thanks for the suggestion. The website is definitely a lot more user friendly than Mouser's, and seeing many brands and makers are shared by both, Tayda's catalog makes for a good cross-referencing tool, too.

Only drawback is that posting it from Thailand will take more, but apart from that very good prices indeed (and that's dollars, too!). How quick is the delivery in your experience?

That said I have to recover from an arm injury before I can get busy again, so could be a good moment to place an order :)

fuzzy645

For building DIY pedals, you won't really find a better supplier than http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html

They will have everything you can possibly need, as well as great information. 

wavley

Quote from: fuzzy645 on January 13, 2012, 01:20:24 PM
For building DIY pedals, you won't really find a better supplier than http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html

They will have everything you can possibly need, as well as great information. 

It's true, some of the parts are a little more than mouser, but you get really great service.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

iccaros

Quote from: alex_spaceman on January 13, 2012, 12:23:12 PM
Hey everyone,

firstly please bare with me. My knowledge in terms of electronics is rather humble, and only limited to effect pedals related subjects only. I did try to research the internet and the forum, but could hardly find any precise information.

I'm looking to stock up a few components and start a couple projects from scratch on vero board. After having pretty much made my mind up on where to buy etc, I found out Mouser is here in the UK as well, and their choice is ridiculously vast compared to anything I found before.

I've seen for most parts (resistors, caps, transistors, you name it) they offer more than one option, at slightly different prices, so the question is, would any component do, or is there a criteria for me to chose them? For instance, if I'm looking for 2N5210 trannies to put in a green ringer, would any 2N5210 do the trick? Central's are 19p per item, whereas Fairchild's just over 4p? Am I right in supposing there's a catch? And if there is, is it relevant in terms of pedal making?

Same for instance for 1N914, with prices anywhere from 2 to 15p, or resistors, capacitors... Haven't really checked in depth further.

Which parameters must be looked out for? Or is it a safer bet to buy as much as I can off of Dr Tweek safe in the knowledge his stuff will work for my cause?

Again, sorry for the very very basic questions, but I hope this can be of use to others, too. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time
Alex

all other suggestions are valid, but to your question. if you search for a 1N914 on mouser, you will see multiple part numbers and price http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=1N914. Why?? well on close inspection you will see, in each part number, differences like mounting --> Through hole, SMD and the manufacture. Where those are the same its a difference in minimum quantity you can order or tolerances. You may find that part numbers change, based on temperature the part can operate. For most applications at low voltage (stomps box) you can get away with the cheapest version. IF a designer needed a specific feature of a part, they should list the full part number from a manufacture to allow the builder to check the datasheet for compatible parts or list what is expected, a 555 timer sometimes gets labeled as to which types do not work for example.

There is a datasheet linked on the page for each part. If you do not understand the electronics theory of the project enough to make a decision, than it would be better to order from a site like Small Bear where Steve* will answer questions if he list more than one version of the same part. This will do two things, one you are sure you have the part you need, and two you now have a valid part number in case you need large bulk and want to order from Mouser, Digikey..ect.. in the future.

*note: I have never asked Steve these questions, but from reading his answers on this board, it would seam that he is very involved with this hobby and likes to help, so I see no reason he would not answer or point you to more information.

stringsthings

Quote from: alex_spaceman on January 13, 2012, 12:23:12 PM

There's usually no catch.  Mouser just stocks many different packages and brands for the same part.  It makes part shopping a bit more involved.  ( I once ordered an op amp and didn't see that i had picked the SMD ( surface mount ) version ... oops ).  So for the 2N5210 transistor, the least expensive TO-92 will work just fine. 

CodeMonk

I don't know about the UK, but while Tayda is in Thailand, they have a warehouse (or something) in Massachusetts. That's where my Tayda orders come from. So far anyway.
Perhaps they have one in the UK? 
As to Fairchild components costing less, its probably because they make more of them than other companies do?

DavenPaget

Quote from: CodeMonk on January 14, 2012, 03:51:41 AM
I don't know about the UK, but while Tayda is in Thailand, they have a warehouse (or something) in Massachusetts. That's where my Tayda orders come from. So far anyway.
Perhaps they have one in the UK? 
As to Fairchild components costing less, its probably because they make more of them than other companies do?
Yep . And they are normally the real-deal .
Hiatus

CodeMonk

And on the subject of Tayda...
I have gotten my orders from them in as little as 5 days.
10 days has been the norm for most orders though.

I ordered 100 TL072s from Tayda. Took 10 days and shipping was I think, about $1.60

DavenPaget

Quote from: CodeMonk on January 14, 2012, 06:08:36 AM
And on the subject of Tayda...
I have gotten my orders from them in as little as 5 days.
10 days has been the norm for most orders though.

I ordered 100 TL072s from Tayda. Took 10 days and shipping was I think, about $1.60
Tayda is certainly faster these days  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

garcho

Try looking at some of the 'project files', or kits available from places like DIYstompboxes, Small Bear, General Guitar Gadgets, Mad Bean, Tone Pad, etc. and see what parts they list in the BOM, or bill of materials. You'll start noticing patterns like, 1/4W resistors, DIP packages, TO-92 package, metal film capacitors, radial capacitors, etc. That's the information you need when purchasing from the 'big guys' (Mouser, DigiKey, Jameco, etc.) Some of those project files even list Mouser part numbers. And never get anything that says 'SMD' (surface mount device).
I suggest using Small Bear if you're only getting enough parts for a specific project. Some of Small Bear's stock might cost more than buying from Mouser, but you're getting quality components, chosen for audio design, great customer service and you won't have to wait for weeks to get your order.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

PRR

> Central's are 19p per item, whereas Fairchild's just over 4p?

Central is a re-re-re-seller. When stuff goes out of production, Central often has some stock. Their prices are not competitive.

Fairchild probably re-sells the 2N5210 but it re-sells direct from a Malaysian foundry to Mouser's dock under Fairchild's logo. Fairchild tries to sell some cutting-edge products (cellfone chips) and a lot of very trailing-edge products (to pay the rent).

4 cents is the going rate for simple transistors. They are as cheap as jellybeans.

They are all high quality; shops like Mouser and DigiKey and Farnell don't stock junk.

DO be sure what you are getting. Transistors today are often in micro-SMT packages which are awkward for traditional DIY pedal construction.
  • SUPPORTER

panterafanatic

What I've found helpful before getting acquainted with their site is to order a catalog from them, It will have a ton of semiconductor options as well as passives and even things like transformers and inductors (technically passive but not typically used in pedals). I love ordering from Mouser as well as Small Bear; however, if ordering from the U.K. side of the pond and if Mouser has a warehouse there, your shipping time will be shorter (and cheaper) than international shipping. From the other point of view, Small Bear service is so good, and their parts are geared towards pedal junkies like us, it just may be worth the extra dollar, er, pound.
-Jared

N.S.B.A. ~ Coming soon

DavenPaget

The thing is ... i just discovered RS sells the tubes that we kind of use all the time ...
Okay , i don't know if the KT88's are supposed to go at 300SGD$ +
EDIT : I was looking at Quad Matched Tubes ... WOW .
Hiatus

Seven64

on the post about tayda.  i usually wait about 7-10 days for delivery.  i like their prices on everything, but since i discovered that their quality on op-amp chips is substantially less than those on mouser or smallbear (i have tested all 3 in magnus modulus, little angel, and tubescreamers), i have stopped ordering IC's and transistors from them.  their pots and stomp switch prices are great, and i have been happy with every item i have bought from them.  i now order most transistors and general IC's from mouser, and save smallbear for more speciality parts.  smallbear's hookup wire is the best wire i have found however, and i order multiple sampler packs at a time.