Chandler 24 awg hookup wire

Started by sixstringphil, January 16, 2012, 10:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixstringphil

Has anyone tried the Chandler wire that Mammoth sells? I always buy the 24 awg pre-bond stranded spools from Smallbear, but tried some of the pre-cut bundles (not listed as Chandler) from Mammoth last time. The wire was good, but didn't bend and stay put like the other. I wondered if the Chandler spools were any better about keeping their shape when bent?

sixstringphil

I'll answer my own question in case anybody else wants to know. I ordered a small amount of the Chandler wire from Mammoth. It seems to be good quality wire, but does not retain bends the way the prebonded wire from Smallbear does.

PRR

> does not retain bends the way the prebonded wire from Smallbear does.

Not a shock. Mammoth sells ALL kinds of stuff at lowest price. SmallBear builds pedals and knows what "WE" pedal-builders prefer.
  • SUPPORTER

fishfude

Sorry to hijack but I can't find the answer anywhere - What does pre-bonded refer to in relation to wire?

Thanks,

ff

Mark Hammer

Hard to easily describe, but it IS stranded, and what looks/feels like just barely tinned, such that the strands pretty much stick together when you strip the insulation, but can become separated if you twist the wire a little.  I don't know how else to capture it except to say that it "wants" to work with you, rather than expecting you to work under its terms.

Steve probably has a more accurate description.

The difference between the Chandler and SBE wire may simply be the thickness of the insulation.  Make the insulation thick enough, and the properties of the insulation to snap back into shape may simply override the tendencies of the wire strands inside to stay where you put them.

fishfude