Will this work?

Started by kevilay, January 19, 2012, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevilay

Hey guys, im a bit new. Here was an idea I had, Let me know what you guys think. Here is the goal. To have a seperate clean and distortion pedal setup. When switching between these it also switches the channel on your amp.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is there any improvements? Will there be alot of switch noise? Ive noticed i forgot the resistor for the LEDs so just disregard that.

Thanks
Kevin

CurtisWCole

I think your input jack needs to be connected to the switch...that is unless your goal is to always have these pedals on. There are other possibilities though. Could you describe in further detail which pedals you're switching and which channels. It would make it easier for me to help. (maybe not others)

Curtis
Composers shouldn't think too much - it interferes with their plagiarism.
Howard Dietz

kevilay

Sorry I should of specified. Here is my goal:

I want to have my clean channel on my amp to have a seperate pedal chain from my distortion channel. So my clean channel can have its own EQ pedal, its own reverb. Distortion can have a tubescreamer its own EQ and maybe some more stuff. This way I can kick on my dist channel and have my tubescreamer and eq pedal already on. You can also que up pedals this way. If im playing dist channel, I can click on my chorus on my clean channel so that when i switch again my chorus is already on.

Thanks
Kevin

mattthegamer463

I think his input jack is correctly wired.  The ring and sleeve will complete a circuit when a mono cable is inserted, to connect all the (-)'s to the battery terminal.

The "disabled" LED will always be on, however.  Might want to the cathodes for the LEDs to that input jack too.

kevilay

Quote from: mattthegamer463 on January 19, 2012, 10:31:41 PM
I think his input jack is correctly wired.  The ring and sleeve will complete a circuit when a mono cable is inserted, to connect all the (-)'s to the battery terminal.

The "disabled" LED will always be on, however.  Might want to the cathodes for the LEDs to that input jack too.

Im not 100% sure what you mean, Can you maybe show me what you mean? I would like the lites to shutoff when the input is removed if possible

Quackzed

QuoteI would like the lites to shutoff when the input is removed if possible
then you can connect the led's ground wire to any of the 'sleeve' ground points instead of directly to the battery, that way the battery  negative terminal is only connected to the ring terminal of the in jack , and if no plug, no power to anything... leds included...
Good idea!!!
:icon_cool:
fwiw a buffered pedal before this one will help to drive the parallel to clean/distortion outputs...
with a passive guitar it'll probably be fine, depends a bit more on what 2 pedals are first in the clean, as well as dist chanels...
for instance, a big high cutting cap to ground right at the input of a pedal in the cleen channel may also affect a high cut in the first pedal in the distortion channel, because their inputs are directly connected... most pedals should be fine though, just a heads up in case you have any odd behavior , this may be why; and a buffered pedal before this one should help...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

thedefog

kevilay

Quote from: Quackzed on January 19, 2012, 11:08:03 PM
QuoteI would like the lites to shutoff when the input is removed if possible
then you can connect the led's ground wire to any of the 'sleeve' ground points instead of directly to the battery, that way the battery  negative terminal is only connected to the ring terminal of the in jack , and if no plug, no power to anything... leds included...
Good idea!!!
:icon_cool:
fwiw a buffered pedal before this one will help to drive the parallel to clean/distortion outputs...
with a passive guitar it'll probably be fine, depends a bit more on what 2 pedals are first in the clean, as well as dist chanels...
for instance, a big high cutting cap to ground right at the input of a pedal in the cleen channel may also affect a high cut in the first pedal in the distortion channel, because their inputs are directly connected... most pedals should be fine though, just a heads up in case you have any odd behavior , this may be why; and a buffered pedal before this one should help...

Is there a way to avoid this, I cant see a way to avoid wiring them together

kevilay

so this is the correct way to have the LED's only on when cable is in right?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CurtisWCole

I meant that the input is not being switched. The signal is always going to both sets of pedals. Also the amp channel wont switch back. It only makes a connection on one (let's call it the down position). But then again isn't most of that done with a momentary switch? Try this.... I'm not 100% on the amp switching channels. If it needs to be a momentary switch go with the second pic. If it works with a latching then take one of the amp tips out. Have you tested how the amp channel selector works? That could change things.

4PDT

Howard Dietz

kevilay

I thought it was a latching setup, i will check if its momentary.

kevilay

what is common with amps, in terms of footswitching. Or is everyone a bit different

CurtisWCole

it depends on how many buttons...channel, reverb, and whatever else. But if it's anything like mine. It probably won't work. I'd go without the channel selector.Use the second picture. One side is distortion and the other is clean. And the led's would work. No need for buffers. Switching should theoretically be quiet. In fact, I'm getting rid of the first pic.

Curtis
Howard Dietz

kevilay

I really liked the idea of it switching the amp also. I guess that is going to be to amp specific tho.

Quackzed

Quoteso this is the correct way to have the LED's only on when cable is in right?

yep that looks good.
i dont see a problem with both channels being on / getting signal really...
and it simplifies things / uses standard parts.
alot of amp channel switches just use a ground connect as 'channel 2' .
im assuming the channel switch is this type... so it should work as is...
- as for avoiding wiring them together, you'd need to incorporate an 'active' splitter, like an opamp with one input 'from guitar in jack' , and 2 isolated outputs, each with an opamp buffer to drive each separate chanel separately. so there would be no interaction btw the 2. look up active splitter or opamp splitter... also look up "splitter blend" at runoffgroove... the first section of that circuit 'splitter' could be lifted and used here, you wouldnt need the 'blend' section... or the buffered returns...
thats alot of extra work though, and you could always 'splice' in an active splitter later if it turns out you need it...
i think it looks good as is, as long as the channel switch works which is easy to test, just plug a cable into the channel switching jck and short the sleeve to the tip, if its channel 2  when  the tip is connected to the sleeve and channel 1 when un connected, your good!
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

CurtisWCole

Well...not having to press 12 pedals and only having to press 2 sounds good to me...

curtis
Howard Dietz

CurtisWCole

Some amps channel selector use a latching switch and a 2 conductor cable. Youd use a stereo jack. Meaning you could use that last pole as a channel selector but no LEDs. Your ears would work just fine I'd imagine.
Howard Dietz

kevilay

Quote from: CurtisWCole on January 20, 2012, 12:06:51 AM
Some amps channel selector use a latching switch and a 2 conductor cable. Youd use a stereo jack. Meaning you could use that last pole as a channel selector but no LEDs. Your ears would work just fine I'd imagine.

is there a way to set this up to make it work with a large variety of amps? i prefer to have the LEDs, but can live without them

CurtisWCole

Unfortunately, no. The only way for this to work on other amps is if they have the same channel selecting methods.
Howard Dietz

kevilay

Quote from: CurtisWCole on January 22, 2012, 05:22:30 PM
Unfortunately, no. The only way for this to work on other amps is if they have the same channel selecting methods.

there is no standard?