Danelectro Fab Chorus chips

Started by Electron Tornado, January 30, 2012, 09:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron Tornado

I understand the main chip in the Danelectro Fab Chorus is the same as the one used in the Boss CH-1. Can anyone verify which chip is in the Fab Chorus?

Thanks
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

Mark Hammer

There are not too many analog chorus pedals that will NOT use an MN3207 or replacement.

Thomeeque

(source)

Looks like PT-something to me.. Pretty far from this..

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Govmnt_Lacky

PT2396 perhaps  ???

Looks like too many leads to be a 2399.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Thomeeque

That gutshot instantly gave me flashback to my never finished PT2397 PT2398 based »ELECTRIC PRINCESS« project :):

I was aiming for flanger which I could not get, chorussy sounds were actually quite nice..

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Electron Tornado

Hmmm...could be a PT2397. In 2001, I think, Boss changed the design of the CH-1 and began using the ES56028 echo sound processor chip:  http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/165437/ETC1/ES56028.html  which is also a 28 pin chip.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Mark Hammer

Well....I guess that would be one of the few not using a 3207!   :icon_redface: :icon_lol:

Thomeeque

Sorry sorry sorry! It was PT2398 based project, I have used PT2397 only for the first tests (and first shots) - it is pin compatible with PT2398 and I did not have PT2398 yet. PT2397 is functionally 100% equal to popular PT2399 only in DIP28, could not be used for the standard chorus due to long delay times. PT2398 is much better candidate for chorus thanks to wide range of short delay times and it is equivalent of ES56028! So you were probably right. Btw. I have posted some of my finding about PT2398 here (and here).

Good luck, T.

Electron Tornado

Tomas, thanks for the info and the links.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Thomeeque

Quote from: Electron Tornado on February 01, 2012, 04:55:44 PM
Tomas, thanks for the info and the links.

You're welcome, E.T. ;)

Btw. do you have schematic of ES56028 based CH-1? I've tried to find it (I'd like to see how they used this chip), but all I have found was MN3007 based version in many different forms..

Cheers, T.

Electron Tornado

Tomas,

You can download both CH-1 schematics here: http://www.eserviceinfo.com/index.php?what=search2 

The one with the ES56028 is the "Boss CH-1T.pdf"

• SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Thomeeque

Great, thanks!

Looks like they've spend some time on fine-tuning their modulation method, local PT2399 torturers should check it out :)

More direct link for others interested: http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/41775/Boss_CH1T.html

Btw. I love that site, I've found there a lot already.

T.

Electron Tornado

Take a look at the application notes in the ES56028 data sheet. It looks like Boss basically took the "surround" circuit and added an LFO.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Thomeeque

Quote from: Electron Tornado on February 02, 2012, 10:46:21 AM
Take a look at the application notes in the ES56028 data sheet. It looks like Boss basically took the "surround" circuit and added an LFO.

Sure, there's probably not much you can do around basic topology (if you want to use it as an delay line). But hey, they have added one more order to LPFs and tuned them differently and for chorus effect is modulation (way of adding LFO) THE KEY - and as I said, it looks elaborated really carefully.

T.

PaulBass

I have one of these but can't find the schematic anywhere. anybody know where the input & output caps are and their values?

Thomeeque

sorry, misunderstood

Thomeeque

damn, wrong button this time  :icon_mrgreen: