vocal pedals? i

Started by kevilay, January 31, 2012, 12:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevilay

Hey guys. I enjoy building pedals and playing guitar. I like singing bu dont have the nicest tone. Are there any vocal effect schematics to give my voice a warmer sound

Thanks
Kevin

CynicalMan

EQ?
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/EQs/paramet.htm

You'll want to tweak the bands for voice.

Reverb, delay, compression, and chorus might be useful as well.

kevilay

Are the effects the same for vocals ? As guitar

CynicalMan

For reverb, delay, and chorus, I think they're more or less the same. EQ and compression will be different. I don't really know what kind of settings a vocal EQ or compressor would have, but I'm sure someone here will have the answer. If not, Google will.

Fender3D

You'll want lower input impedance (600Ohm typ. for microphone) and higher gain 'cause signal will be very low, output impedance will depend where you'll plug it (usually mixer) with these tech specs, most effects must be noise-proof.
If you have a channel in/out patch jack in your mixer, you'll need lower input impedance (usually 47K) and higher input level sensitivity (-10dB/0dB depending on mixer), noise will be less noticeable in this case
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

kevilay

I have a fairly crappy pa with no mixer I was just gonna run mic into pedal and out to pa. Would this be ok o

seedlings

Quote from: kevilay on January 31, 2012, 02:09:52 PM
I have a fairly crappy pa with no mixer I was just gonna run mic into pedal and out to pa. Would this be ok o

The crappier the PA and mic, the better my voice sounds compared to a good voice.  :icon_mrgreen: Kinda like how Rocktek effects make high-end guitars sound like low-end guitars.

Raido Shack sells a mic-to-line impedance transformer for like $20.  Then you could use your mic with whatever pedal.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062443

CHAD

kevilay

Ill pickup one of those. I got a good mic just a bad pa

Fender3D

If you're gonna diy, a balanced buffer it's easier.
Those plugs may help with impedance, but won't raise your signal level...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

runmikeyrun

would Jack Orman's simple JFET buffer work for that?

http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm

Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

CynicalMan

No, you want a balanced buffer with differential inputs. It's easiest to do with op amps.

Something like this:

DavenPaget

Quote from: CynicalMan on February 01, 2012, 11:30:52 AM
No, you want a balanced buffer with differential inputs. It's easiest to do with op amps.

Something like this:

IT doesn't say much about power supply options ... Single supply with biasing (don't even know how to bias a differential amp) required or dual supply ? ( I haven't seen differential amps before so ... )
Hiatus

CynicalMan

You can just connect the 100k resistor to Vr instead of ground and use a single supply. I'm not sure how much headroom you'd need, probably depends on the mic.

amptramp

Not sure why you would have a 0.2µF cap on the inverting side and a 0.1µF cap on the non-inverting side.  I assume they were intended to be the same.  As shown, it is intended for ± supplies but as CynicalMan says, it could be referenced between ground and a single supply voltage.  The resistors from the output to the - input and the + input to ground can be raised equally to add gain.

CynicalMan

The caps are different to keep the input HPF cutoff frequencies the same. The input impedance of the non-inverting side is 200k, and the input impedance of the inverting side is 100k, so having 0.1u and 0.2u capacitors puts the cutoff for both of them at around 8Hz. TBH, it doesn't really matter, they could just both be 0.1u.

DavenPaget

Quote from: CynicalMan on February 01, 2012, 01:05:10 PM
You can just connect the 100k resistor to Vr instead of ground and use a single supply. I'm not sure how much headroom you'd need, probably depends on the mic.
Oh , thanks . Alot .  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

egasimus