Devi Ever Silver Rose schematic - ?

Started by DDD, February 01, 2012, 07:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDD

Hi men,
a good friend of mine asks me if it's possible to repair his Devi Ever Silver Rose fuzz-box.
He says it's output is of a very low volume and indicator LED seems to work strange and unproperly when bypass switch is activated.
To my regrets I can't find the schematic on the Net. They say the gadget is rare as well as info on it.
So, I'll appreciate any help, opinions, links and every available information on this stompbox.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

~arph

It broke already?

I believe it's a superfuzz into a IC muff... all SMD though. Devi posted load of images of the PCB while constructing.
I don't think the internals are a secret so I'd start asking Devi herself. (or Charlotte the PR girl)

BTw.. just noticed it says SUPER and IC muff on the box..

Sounds like a power problem to me.. and please do post guts :P

Scruffie

It's still in production so Devi should repair it, I think it was 'designed' by Infanem so you could try them too.

It's all SMD I know that so if you don't wanna work with that...

DDD

The guy told me there are some similar reports on the Net, but no any informative posts.
-----------------
I like SMD except of ICs with numerous legs ))))

~arph

Quote from: Scruffie on February 01, 2012, 10:06:46 AM
It's still in production so Devi should repair it

I'm not sure of that.. it's pulled from her website..

Scruffie

Quote from: ~arph on February 01, 2012, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on February 01, 2012, 10:06:46 AM
It's still in production so Devi should repair it

I'm not sure of that.. it's pulled from her website..
Really? Well this is Devi... her whole line can be there one day and gone the next. There was issues with funding production so that could be why, or it could be the whole Corgan controversy that arose.

Still, she must offer SOME kind of warranty, especially at the price these were going for.

DDD

Anyway the stompbox is to be repaired here in my country.
It seems  its schematic is not too complicated or over-engineered. Hope there are no FET IC switches.

DDD

By the by, maybe I should send her a request for the schematic?
Could someone pls advise me her actual e-mail addfess?
----------------------
Well, I've sent a request to charlotte@deviever.com
Hope they'll help me anyway.

teej212

i actually think its a ic muff and a superfuzz in parallel, not in series.  I would assume it goes like buffer->muff/superfuzz->buffer->EQ
could be wrong though. 

DDD

They say it's two fuzz circuits in parallel, then mixer and EQ

tiges_ tendres

From the looks of the board, the switching is done by relay.  Don't know if they got fancy with a PIC and relay, probably not though.
Try a little tenderness.

CodeMonk

Quote from: teej212 on February 01, 2012, 11:00:29 AM
i actually think its a ic muff and a superfuzz in parallel, not in series.  I would assume it goes like buffer->muff/superfuzz->buffer->EQ
could be wrong though.  

Correct.
I looked at this product as closely as I could. (I've been working on a similar idea for a few months).

Devi in the past has generally been very open about her designs, but she didn't design it, Infanem did.
Contact Devi or Infanem?

DDD

Hi men,
I've got some very helpful instructions from Mr. Ken Schurer of Infanem and Ms. Charlotte Pierce of Devi Ever that let me fix the problem succesfully.
I have to say I'm very pleased to meet such a responsive people and to have a very detailed information from them.
Also, they kindly permitted to republish their advises here to help experienced DIYers in fixing such a problem.
But I do not know how to attach a picture (extremely useful fotograph) that won't disappear in couple weeks.
Please let mew know how should I do it (?)

twabelljr

Set up an account with Photobucket. Upload your pics to your account. Copy the direct link under the picture and click the Insert Image tab above. Paste the link between the center img brackets. Hit preview post below the reply box to confirm the image appears. The image will stay as long as it is in your Photobucket album. There are other image hosting sites but Photobucket is the one I am familiar with.
Shine On !!!

DDD

Well, pls see the below information that is extremely helpful, including couple pictures.

Devi Ever Silver Rose repair information
Symptoms:
-   No  sound when FX is engaged
-   Indicator LED is ON independently of the bypass stomp-switch

Fix advise by Mr. Ken Schurer of Infanem 
(Extracts)

There has been a problem with early Silver Roses frying their charge
pumps. Devi is offering repairs so beginner DIYers don't get in over their heads
on work that's available from the builder.

The offending part is the SOIC-8 sized MAX1044 toward the bottom left
of the PCB. In later pedals, an LT1054, capable of handling greater
voltage spikes and load, is used in that position to eliminate the
issue. It requires a bit of ingenuity to mount, though, as they are
only available in PDIP-8 or SOIC-16 wide packages. Should you decide
to make the swap, the PDIP version is a pin-for-pin substitute except
for leaving pin 1 of the LT1054 open. The SOIC pinout is similar but
for extra no-connection pins.
See the attached images for two angles.

Heat has not shown itself to be an issue so the extra pins are clipped
off. This is particularly helpful in fitting the IC around the nearby
capacitors. The right-side pins are soldered directly to the PCB and
the left are connected with jumpers, keeping the IC very rigidly in
place.

-Ken

Advise by Ms. Charlotte Pierce of  Devi Ever (Extracts) 
I am afraid the schematics are not available.

The initial Silver Rose builds had a small but serious design flaw. One of the components (the MX1044 IC) was only rated for 9.6v, making it highly susceptible to voltage spikes. It can be easily resolved by replacing the IC with an LT1054, and we have also been adding a Zener diode across the power jack's dc lug and ground for extra protection.

Incidentally, the Silver Rose does not function well on 9.6v batteries - after they drain past a certain point, they lack the sufficient power to operate the relay switching bypass. That may also be the problem. The only solution to this is to use a 9.6v power supply instead of batteries, we generally suggest a Godlyke Powerall.

If the customer wishes to send their Silver Rose back to us for repair, we will gladly repair it for free, as well as refund their shipping for sending it back once it arrives. :)

Or if this is a repair you feel comfortable in undertaking, we certainly wouldn't be opposed to you doing so if the customer preferred that!