What do you use to power your breadboard projects?

Started by guitarrob, February 02, 2012, 01:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarrob

I was wondering what others around here are using for power their prototypes on the breadboard?
Hey guys, I am trying to decide if building a PSU with multiple +/- voltages would be worth my time for my breadboard projects.

Maybe it would be easier to just get a wallwart and build a 9V regulated supply for the breadboard?

So, do you guys use a PSU, battery or wallwart?

artifus

regulated wall wart to dc socket to battery clip to http://www.runoffgroove.com/bb-pwr.html

be wary of low batteries when breadboarding and component subbing. if you intend to run the project from psu breadboard with psu.

diydave

9v Boss adapter, mostly.
But I've build a psu from an old desktop which I sometimes use, for which I have 12 v, 5v, -5v and -12 v.
I've been meaning to build a variable voltage regulator for it, so I can get rid of using the Boss wall wart.

guitarrob

Quote from: artifus on February 02, 2012, 01:09:33 PM
regulated wall wart to dc socket to battery clip to http://www.runoffgroove.com/bb-pwr.html

be wary of low batteries when breadboarding and component subbing. if you intend to run the project from psu breadboard with psu.
I was actually looking at that page but i wasn't sure if only 9 and 4.5 would be enough.

I was considering, maybe 5V, 9V and 12V and possibly some +/- for the 9 and 12V?
I figured if I was going to build a regulated PSU to use with the bread board...might aswell have many different voltage available.
I don't want it to be too expensive though so I may just go with a 9V DC wall wart and a regulator circuit.
What is the amp rating on your wallwart?

artifus

i have a couple. a boss 9v 200ma wall wart and an old uniross 1.5v - 12v 1200ma brick. both regulated.

frank_p

Bench power supply, or 9V NiCad rechargeable battery.  I don't use wall warts because they don't have current limiter.

Gurner

I actually think there's a gap in the market for someone to produce/sell a low power, but variable breadboard PSU to cover the range +12 down to +2.5V ...preferably dual supplyl! There's a chasm between the std breadboard PSU offerings (which typically are just 5V & 3.3V) & a full blown bench PSU.

I have a bench PSU, but somethimes I just want to work in the living room on a small breadboard (& get on my wife's nerves leaving lots of components inevitably on the floor!) ...but presently I have to have a 12V wall wart as the main voltage supply & a whole heap of linear regulators to 'roll my own' rail voltages to suit the project.

guitarrob

Quote from: Gurner on February 02, 2012, 02:47:30 PM
I actually think there's a gap in the market for someone to produce/sell a low power, but variable breadboard PSU to cover the range +12 down to +2.5V ...preferably dua supplyl! There's a chasm between the std breadboard psu offerings (5V & 3.3V) & bench PSUs. I have a bench PSU, but somethimes I just want to work in the living room on a small breadboard (& get on my wife's nerves leaving lots of compoments inevitably on the floor!) ...but presently I have to have a 12V wall wart as a main supply & a whole heap of regulators to 'roll my own' rail volatges to suit the project.
I think I am going to just design a variable supply offering both +/- supplies.  This way you have access to 5,9,12..whatever you need.
Are you talking about something like that?

iccaros

I just bought for $20 one of these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814337 off ebay.
I noticed It has multiple power taps from the battery. The problem is that the on and off switch will leave parts on when using more than one tap at a time. For example I was using the 1.5v for tube heaters and 9 volt for LM386. When turned to off, the 9V is gone but now I have have -7 volts on the heater, killing my tube.
So took it apart and put in three regulators, one for 12v and two adjustable. a LM317 with 100R between adjust and out, and a 1K pot to ground on the adjust pin, with heat sink. Small hole drilled and you can adjust the voltage you want. Only three choices, but it works. a 1 ohm resistor across the amp meter will tell you voltage, with known load, like the LED's, but thinking of adding a meter to that part. 

Simple project, three LM317, heat sinks and replace the 6 battery tray for an 8, and added a jack in case I don't want batteries. 

sixstringphil

I installed a DC jack to my breadboard and connected to the red and black posts. That way I can plug up my 1-Spot or whatever adapter I need.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Gurner

Just found an adjustable psu that might be cheaper for those of us on this side of the pond...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LM2596-DC-DC-StepDown-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Module-/170720912048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bfc262b0

...can't go wrong at £2.90 delivered! (ok, so you still need a DC supply to feed into it & it's maybe not as convenient as the breadboard mount type....but £2.90 (just over $4 delivered!...I'll fashion something up! Two now ordered)

Earthscum

I just use an LM317 adjustable circuit. I grabbed an 18/24VAC wall goiter from RS on clearance, but I hardly adjust it to anything over 9V. Actually, I leave it at 9V, and just drop a regulator in when I need lower, lol.

Paul, that wouldn't happen to be a charger for a TV battery pack, would it? I have one that I've been considering using the same way, but with regulated +/- outs.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

guitarrob

I think I may just go with a DC wallwart and build in the regulator and voltage dividers if/when needed for now.

Earthscum

Quote from: guitarrob on February 02, 2012, 09:06:56 PM
I think I may just go with a DC wallwart and build in the regulator and voltage dividers if/when needed for now.

If you want to go REALLY cheap, head to a thrift store... most will have a bucket of used wallwarts for a couple bucks each. You can dig through those for a nice 9V adapter. Later down the road, you can always get a higher voltage one and regulate down. Just make sure it's DC, and it doesn't matter what kind of end it has, you can just cut it off and put your own on, and in the polarity that you want.  :icon_razz:
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

guitarrob

I was actually considering hitting a thrift store to look for some wallwarts or other goodies but I think I have tons of them around here already, if I have a look.
I was just interested in possibly adding some support circuitry to have more voltages and negative supplies also to give more options but I can add such things later.

PRR

> Paul, that wouldn't happen to be a charger for a...

That was far back in the last century. I now recall it was a home power supply for car CB radios. A 11-0-11V 2A transformer, 2 diodes, a big cap, and a current-limiting lamp which had failed (why it came to me). Snip, FWB, 2 caps on the handy screw terminals.
  • SUPPORTER