How big a difference between BAT46 and BAT29?

Started by Mark Hammer, February 05, 2012, 06:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Question pretty much says it all.  Can I sub a BAT29 for a BAT46 in a clipping circuit and get similar performance?

Ice-9

They are both general purpose small signal schottky diodes so I douubt there would be any real noticable difference. I would just say give it a go.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Mark Hammer

Ice-9

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

DavenPaget

You can , but the BAT29 might blow . It has only 5V peak repetitive chance before it is gonna blow .
You can use the BAT42/85 instead . Remember in the world of 9V boosters , you really shouldn't use a 29 .
Hiatus

Mark Hammer

DavenPaget

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 09, 2012, 12:24:37 PM
Even for audio signal?
Audio ... 2.5Vpp probably but 7Vpp , you're gonna probably see something go up in smoke .
Hiatus

Mark Hammer

Ah, well the application is a clone of a pedal that clips via Si diodes but allows the user to add Schottky type after wards.  So the preceding Si diodes assure that the signal will remain well within the limitations of the BAT29.

DavenPaget

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 09, 2012, 02:35:44 PM
Ah, well the application is a clone of a pedal that clips via Si diodes but allows the user to add Schottky type after wards.  So the preceding Si diodes assure that the signal will remain well within the limitations of the BAT29.
Ah , you know that , it isn't a problem .
Man , you're one of the senior members here on DIYSB  :icon_mrgreen:
Hiatus

Mark Hammer

I'd better be.  If anyone had that many posts in just 2 or 3 years, that would be classified as "clinical symptoms"!   :icon_lol:

DavenPaget

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 09, 2012, 08:17:01 PM
I'd better be.  If anyone had that many posts in just 2 or 3 years, that would be classified as "clinical symptoms"!   :icon_lol:
Absolutely  :icon_mrgreen: Or a troll . Which would have been banned earlier so .
Hiatus

Mark Hammer

i wired it up and fired it up last night, and it sounded fine.  Though I think I may keep my eyes peeled for other Schottkys, including BAT46 type, next time I buy some.

DavenPaget

42 or 85 is good . But there many other schottkys too just not that we know that many .
Not many shops sell schottkys because ... their maximum voltage is like 100V ?
Hiatus

PRR

> It has only 5V peak repetitive chance before it is gonna blow .

Break-down. Not "blow".

Backward on a 12V battery, infinite current tries to flow and it will burst.

Driven by typical opamps or other small-stuff, it is unlikely there will be more than 20mA available. Breakdown power dissipated is 5V*20mA or 100mW. The part does not have a dissipation rating but the thermal resistance suggests 100mW is safe. And that's assuming steady (DC) breakdown. In audio, half the time it will be conducting forward.

And most fuzz clippers are sorta-symmetric. There's a diode going the other way which will limit the back-diode to 0.4V, 0.6V, 1.6V, whatever, but probably nowhere near 5V.

I looked at BAT46 and BAT29 specs. They _do_ show different shapes. But device physics suggests they must be the same shape (shifted with device area) and the plots are either approximate or some kind of CYA worst-case limit.
  • SUPPORTER

DavenPaget

Quote from: PRR on February 10, 2012, 02:39:09 PM
> It has only 5V peak repetitive chance before it is gonna blow .

Break-down. Not "blow".

Backward on a 12V battery, infinite current tries to flow and it will burst.

Driven by typical opamps or other small-stuff, it is unlikely there will be more than 20mA available. Breakdown power dissipated is 5V*20mA or 100mW. The part does not have a dissipation rating but the thermal resistance suggests 100mW is safe. And that's assuming steady (DC) breakdown. In audio, half the time it will be conducting forward.

And most fuzz clippers are sorta-symmetric. There's a diode going the other way which will limit the back-diode to 0.4V, 0.6V, 1.6V, whatever, but probably nowhere near 5V.

I looked at BAT46 and BAT29 specs. They _do_ show different shapes. But device physics suggests they must be the same shape (shifted with device area) and the plots are either approximate or some kind of CYA worst-case limit.
Oh ! Right . I damn near didn't consider the breakdown dissapation limit .
Hiatus

DavenPaget

Quote from: DavenPaget on February 09, 2012, 08:19:52 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 09, 2012, 08:17:01 PM
Absolutely  :icon_mrgreen: Or a troll . Which would have been banned earlier so .
I just realized at the rate i'm going about posting i'm gonna hit 18k in 2 years ...
Hiatus