News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

This sound

Started by thf, February 06, 2012, 09:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thf

Hey guys. I need an advice, I want to achieve something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otMPmJsgfzA&feature=share i love this exact sound and i would really love to play around with it by myself, but I have no idea how to acomplish it. E.g what kind of distortion shall i use, and generally what what kind of effect will get me there, im not really good at this, thanks for help. :)

CynicalMan

Sounds to me like a reverb with the dry mix turned off going into a delay.

jrod

Here is a little something about what gear they use.

It sounds to me like what CynicalMan said but with a backwards effect too. Maybe that HOG can achieve this?

artifus

only listened to the intro and was immediately reminded of and had to google this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcyK-edUByk - just the first five seconds, mind, i'm sure the similarity (if only in my head) ends there.

thf

Oh yes, I see :)
Do you guys think that the digiverb shall do the job? + some delay , im more focused on the part from 1:22 i hear its slightly distorted but have no idea what kind of stompbox produces this kind of distortion?

thf

+ Im pretty sure its not possible to convey something like that with hog

artifus

from what i can hear going on @ 1:22 behind the prominent di'd keyboard it just sounds like saturated fuzz/distortion with delay/verb, as previously mentioned, with a bit of whammy bar action going on. hard to tell in that mix.

*spellings* from here to hear - i need some sleep

thf

Is there any particular distortion pedal you could recommend?

artifus

it sounds to me like the delay/verb is clipping due to whatever effect/gain stage precedes it or could be at the amp - as i said - hard to tell from the mix/recording. that's what i meant by saturated. the slight 'wobble' is playing style - subtle whammy bar or pulling on the neck with each strum/pick. just a guess.

Meanderthal

The Yamaha spx90II does a 'backwards' reverb like that. The distortion is hard to tell, too much going on with the keys. (which sound cool)
I am not responsible for your imagination.

thf

Thanks guys. So ill guess im gonna have to turn the pots on my fuzz face to hit the sweet spot, and if I wont Ill try something else :) Probably tonebender or some cool zvex stuff shall do it?

newfish

Do the BOSS DD-3, DD-6 and DD-7 have a 'reverse' feature?

I *think* the DD-3 has (it's been years since I owned one), and a 'BOSS Delay' is listed in the 'gear feature' (CynicalMan's post).

Good luck nailing that sound - it's awesome!
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.