enclosed stereo jacks lug confuses me!?

Started by ikko, February 06, 2012, 11:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ikko

I see three lugs, I know its for the switching of the battery but which lug corresponds to which part?
Can someone identify for me? Is the tip closest to the input part or furthest?
Sorry if im too vague!!

artifus

tip is at the end - furthest point from input socket. when you insert a mono jack plug it's sleeve connects together the two other points closest to socket - the ring and sleeve. that's the 'switch'. hope that's not too vague an explanation.

ikko

So furthest from input hole to nearest: tip,ring,sleeve?

seedlings

Do you mean a stereo jack or a switched jack?

Stereo:

Mono Switched:

CHAD

artifus

i assumed they meant:

*edit* ie 'enclosed' rather than 'closed' (switch). jacks may have insert to make or insert to break contacts. multimeter continuity check is your friend.

seedlings

Quote from: artifus on February 06, 2012, 11:50:18 AM
i assumed they meant:

Quoteknow its for the switching of the battery

But the OP won't want to connect a battery to a stereo jack.  Connect battery to a switched jack.

CHAD

artifus

sleeve and ring remain disconnected until a mono jack is inserted. mono jacks sleeve connects together stereo sockets ring and sleeve. this may be referred to as a switch. the pictures you posted are of 'open' chasis sockets, not enclosed. enclosed sockets with six tabs also have insert to break contacts on the opposing tabs.

seedlings

Quote from: artifus on February 06, 2012, 11:57:11 AM
sleeve and ring remain disconnected until a mono jack is inserted. mono jacks sleeve connects together stereo sockets ring and sleeve. this may be referred to as a switch.

Ok, yep.

Tip = furthest from where you plug the cord in
Middle = ring
Sleeve = closest

Many of those enclosed jacks have contacts on the other side of the jack as well.  Generally you'll want to solder to right side (in the picture).  The other side would be used, as an example, to ground the input when the cord is removed.

CHAD

Mark Hammer

We regularly get at least one or two threads started here each year, by someone who cannot figure out why the battery in their pedal wears out so quickly.

One of the reasons for this is that the positioning of the solder lugs for tip, ring, and shaft can vary from jack-maker to jack-maker.  People end up connecting their battery connectors such the battery is always connected, rather than only connected when a plug is inserted.

The easy solutin is to simply have an unused stereo plug on hand, insert it into the jack, and use your meter to verify which plug contact has continuity with which jack lug.  This is clearly more useful when the jack is enclosed than when the jack is an open type.  For plastic Marshall-type, like artifus showed, this is more obvious, since the jack contacts line up with their respective position along the plug.

ikko

Quote from: artifus on February 06, 2012, 11:50:18 AM
i assumed they meant:

*edit* ie 'enclosed' rather than 'closed' (switch). jacks may have insert to make or insert to break contacts. multimeter continuity check is your friend.

Thats the one! Isit a stereo jack per se?

artifus

it has connections for tip, ring and sleeve. in stereo land this would be left, right and ground. a mono jack would only have connections for tip and sleeve, or signal and ground.

*edit* so, yes, is what i meant to say.

ikko

So I should get around to testing if it opens or closes the ring when I lug a mono jack in?

If I were to test, it would also be tomorrow since its 2am.here and I need to work from 6am later.

Fyi im building a Dr. Boogie, got everything populated, housed and all, all I need now is to do is the off board wiring!

artifus

yup, set your multimeter so it beeps when it detects a connection, ie continuity. check all tabs on empty socket. make mental note. insert jack and check all tabs for continuity again. make mental note. compare notes. bobs your mothers brother.