TL072 preamp for active A/B switcher

Started by ragingben, February 06, 2012, 05:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragingben

Hey everyone,

I'm attemping to make an active A/B box (2 bass to one amp), which uses... http://www.rason.org/Projects/opamps/design3.gif

...preamp circuit but with a TL072, instead of the 741. I'm going to have this twice (other than the voltage divider that creates the reference voltage) using both sides of the op amp (one for A and one for B). I have checked and the voltage divider is working nicely, from a 9v supply I have 9v at the Vcc pin and around 4.8v at the non-inverting input 1. No matter what I do I can't seem to get the circuit working correctly though, and it's starting to drive me crazy (it has been a few days)! Can anyone verify that it looks correct? I have replaced the 100k resistor which goes from the output to the inverting input with a 10k, and the 1k which is between the audio input and the inverting input with a 2.2k, as I wanted around 5x gain. The 5x gain should be like a 5x volume boost shouldn't it? It looks so simple I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong!

When I say I can't get it working correctly my signal seems to go distorted (but not louder, and the inverting input has 4.8v on it) (I'm using a drum machine as a test source at a moderate output volume).

I'm doing this on a breadboard, but heres a vero layout I designed, it may point out where I'm going wrong, who knows!

Any help is much, much appreciated

PRR

DC voltages on the IC. (Hint: one +9V, one zero, and six near 4.5V.... are any way-wrong?)

Stepping back: 1K or 2K input resistors are a HEAVY load on guitar, and maybe on some drum-boxes. You really want a non-inverting configuration.

• SUPPORTER

ragingben

Cool, non-inverting Is something I can do, I only went inverting because this one was. Is this not a great schematic to follow then?

Does this look OK as a non-inverting config (providing the Vr was running to the non inverting input?

Yeah, they are all around 4.6v, that would be pins 1,2,3,5,6,7, and 4 is at 0v and 8 is at 9v.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the chematic until after I posted, thanks for that! Just to clarify Vcc is 9v input? I never understand what Vcc is! If I replace the gain pot with a 10k resistor and put a pot at the output acting as a voltage divider would that be a reasonable way of controlling the volume? I only say this as I'm having a toggle that switches between active and passive, and that way one pot could work for both active and passive modes...

ragingben

Just want to say - many thanks she is working a beaut!

DavenPaget

Meh , like Paul said , 1K is a mad load . It just shaves off everything , probably good for your MP3 or sorts , but no good for a guitar .
Hiatus

PRR

> Just to clarify Vcc is 9v input? I never understand what Vcc is!

You are right to question it.

IRE standards 1956. Vc is collector DC voltage. Double the subscript, Vcc, to indicate collector supply voltage.

There's no naked collector here. Vcc is technically incorrect. However just before chip opamps became common, most circuits use NPN transistors. "Vcc" was the positive supply voltage. This use carried-over into transistor+chip use, then (wrongly) into chip-only use.
  • SUPPORTER