Orange Squeezer... 10uF's instead of 4.7uF's? Got 'em laying around

Started by gregwbush, February 08, 2012, 03:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Mike

I don't know about the potentiometer issue, but I do remember there being a topic here about some properly-built DIY Orange Squeezers having a slight fade-in when engaged. You should search for it. :)

I remember the topic because the OS clone that I built has the same fade-in problem... ermm... feature. I think Mark Hammer had also experienced the same fade-in behavior as well, and I figure he knows how to build one. It wasn't 5 seconds, though-- more like under a second.

The proposed solution was a buffered bypass, but I don't know if anything came of it in that particular topic.

Good luck!

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

gregwbush

Quote from: PRR on February 15, 2012, 11:25:17 PM
Put voltmeter at various points. Find the points that vary with gain.

Orange Squeezer tidbit: what to aim for with the trimpot, mark hammer
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=48102.0

I put the voltmeter on the points mark indicated. All those points were damn close, except the trimmer to q2 source was a bit high, above 1.7v. It is now set to 1.701v and...

Quote from: .Mike on February 16, 2012, 01:13:53 AM
It wasn't 5 seconds, though-- more like under a second.

... now it's ~1 second or less

Is this a feature rather than a problem? i don't know.

(still reading through results)

and PRR, are we talkin DC volts or AC ?

Tasson50

I never get this "warming up" phenomenon when just playing (normal use). However, when adjusting the trimpot, it will "warm up" very briefly if I have it set low, turn it up, and then start playing. Then I won't have any fading issues unless I mess with the trimpot again. I assume this is standard, and it's fine with me. But I'm curious if anyone with more elctronics knowledge could explain why it does this? Thanks!