News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Stomp switch

Started by MartyB, October 04, 2003, 08:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

The question is , is it a dpdt. Secondly what would the shipping cost be . I have thought of using them if I could get them cheap. If they will dim the lights in a 12vlt. sys. they should switch effects. But conventional dpdt I am thinking might be just as cheap, especially if you can get in an order the next time that aron has them. Or buying x type from steve at small bear.
troublerat

Mike Burgundy

if this is anything like the British oldtimers I know, no, this is definitely not a DPDT, and if it were, it wouldn't be suitable for effects. True, they were used (and perhaps designed) for "low" voltage use (6 to 24 V instead of 250) but they were also used in high current situations (headlight switch, kaboom). They might just perform this function well (including losing some serious power, but not really affecting the adequate functioning of he lights) but it's by no means to be expected they might work anywhere else. At least, not the way we want it to.
It might be the picture, but if you keep automotive parts in mind and look at the larger picture, it's actually somewhat obvious, at least to my eyes, that this switch has *one* terminal that we can see - the other connection would be ground, through its casing, probably.
The British switches I know were also used as starter switches, so they DO handle serious current ;) (talk about a kickstart)

MartyB

Yep,  just found out the old dimmer switches are usually SPDT...   Otherwise the junkyards would be great sources for heavy duty, cheap switches.