News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Custom EQ

Started by kevilay, February 12, 2012, 05:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubegeek

For a START on this issue, (not a full-on Mark Hammer solution, but a flexible and fun-to-experiment-with EQ) I can recommend the Craig Anderton Super Tone Control (it's project #17 in EPFM.)

Thread here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=45772.0

-tubegeek
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Ben N

So this shakes out as pretty much a DIY PQ-4, I guess. Much needed.
  • SUPPORTER

sault

My own take on EQ for guitar has become something like this -

A bass shelving filter below 300 hz into a high-pass sweepable from about 60 hz (detuned guitar) up to 600 hz (cut mud zone).
A treble shelving filter above 3 khz into a low-pass sweepable from 10khz down to 1khz.

I figure that this would give you a 2-pole-ish effect (a shelf boost into a cut), and provide enough range that you could provide a relatively flat response (low db shelving, cuts at 60 hz and 10 khz) to emphasizing as much treble/bass as you need, simulating a mid-cut, all that.

4 knobs - high-pass, low-shelf boost/cut, high-shelf boost/cut, low-pass, and a level, so 5 knobs. Make each boost/shelf dual concentric and you're down to only 3... this type of pedal would be incredibly useful in the FX loop or after a line-out... Being me, I would want to build in a simple compressor/limiter, because that's one of the biggest things I wish I had on my board, so another knob for that... but you can't always get what you want.  =)

From a studio recording perspective, it would be awesome to have solid-state tube replacements that had some EQ options built in. For instance, a switchable 80 or 150 hz high-cut would instantly tighten up a guitarist's tone and make it more suitable for recording (or just tame an amp's or speaker's flabby bass response, even). A built-in line out would be totally saah-weeet, too, for amps that don't have one.

It seems like its possible, and seems like it would have a market if guitarists understood why high-cuts are important for tone control...

seedlings

Quote from: gregwbush on February 17, 2012, 07:36:45 AM
Okay....

I decided to make a start on this custom EQ thing. Here's what i have so far...

That looks so botique!  Did you vector-etch?  Does it sound good with a Nady wireless system, or just Nady patch cables because of the discreet vintage buffer?
:-X
CHAD

garcho

@germanium

And that would make the baby learning to crawl a guitar player?  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Ben N

I think that would make the baby learning to crawl a transistor.
  • SUPPORTER

Tony Forestiere

Nah. Must be a Ge diode 'cause it has "soft knees"?

*gets his coat*
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me