|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 01:20:44 PM
960251 Posts in 102677 Topics by 32368 Members
Latest Member: andrescarpediem
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  DIY Stompboxes  |  Building your own stompbox  |  Photon Buzzard - New Buzz pedal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photon Buzzard - New Buzz pedal  (Read 1722 times)
Earthscum

David Edgar

Photon Buzzard - New Buzz pedal
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »

I've been trying to keep my hands off of another project this weekend, so I breadboarded an idea I had. My (somewhat of a) mashup of a Bazz Fuss and a Fuzz Face worked, and sounded pretty decent. Then I got a bright idea to try something from a circuit that Jimmy Photon had been playing with, the Burns Buzzaround. Since Jimmy is responsible for one of the controls, I decided on Photon Buzz, and for some reason I thought of the sun following me around up in the sky like a buzzard, waiting... waiting for a long time.  icon_twisted

These are approximate waveforms, to give an idea of what kind of sound this thing spits out:

Enjoy!

Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum
pinkjimiphoton

"it's got YOY" jimi in manchvegas

Re: Photon Buzzard - New Buzz pedal
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »

that's feckin' awesome!! gotta build it!!! nice!!!!!

icon_mrgreen icon_mrgreen icon_mrgreen

i don't care what ohms law is, i ain't no flippin EE!!
earthtonesaudio

Alex

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »

Love the poem, and the googly-eyed control diagram.   Grin

I gotta cut down on my (ab)use of parentheses.
bluesdevil

Just a Bill in Florida

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »

Very cool! icon_cool I gotta toss this on the breadboard just to hear what the cross eyed setting sounds like. icon_mrgreen

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy
Earthscum

David Edgar

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

I had an idea... I have 2 Ge NPN's, one with a true gain of around 40, leakage about 51uA, and another that works in Q2, but it only has a true gain of around 10 with a leakage in the (70's? measured last night and forgot). I was contemplating trying out a Sziklai pair with a PNP, and hadn't tried it yet. Well, I guess I know what I'm trying out tonight. It would be neat to make all Ge, although I doubt that anything with a high enough gain in Q1 will sound any different. Q2 is where the sound is at.

Steve @ Smallbear has an excellent article on doing JUST this thing! I came across it while browsing the NPN Ge's on his site, so I figured I'd post it here. Might give others who are staring at a pile of low-gainer Ge's some new ideas.

I'll mess around with it and post my results. Also gonna see if I can get a Q2=PNP version going, since not everyone has an odd NPN Ge sitting around.

Also, one thing to note: the 10k to the "Phase" pot should actually be a 12k. I had designed with 12k, and tried out a 10k last night. 10k works just fine, so I don't see any reason to update the schem.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:38:22 AM by Earthscum » Logged

Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

markeebee

Mark B, UK

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »

Cool, I'll definitely have a go at this.  Made me chuckle because my uncle lived here:

(He lived in the town, not actually in the railway station).
Earthscum

David Edgar

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »

UPDATED - Fixed biasing pot, also put the proper value in the resistor going to the "Phase" pot.

Earthscum

David Edgar

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:21:27 PM »

Wasn't feeling inspired to do much today, so I polished up on my Inkscape skills.

PhotonBuzzardPerfEtch.PDF

... AND

pinkjimiphoton

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:25:13 AM »

well done dave!

all i need to do now is mock up a vero....and i'm on it!! Wink

pinkjimiphoton

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »

HMMMMMM.....well, i finally mocked up a vero, dave...

i've checked it a bunch, believe it's good. yes, i could probably have made it smaller, but i got big blunt fingers. Wink

here ya go! when i get home i'll build it up and see if i can verify the circuit.

peace!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: