Author Topic: Crazy tube circuits  (Read 3471 times)

mhartington

Crazy tube circuits
« on: November 16, 2010, 06:05:14 PM »
Went on an adventure through youtube and found a demo video of this awesome pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0YKCtEv1z0&feature=channel

its called black magic drive by crazy tube circuits. There website gives a quick over view of whats going on underneath it all but nothing too in depth. Anyone ever hear of them or know anything about it? Seems like a fun build.

anchovie

Re: Crazy tube circuits
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:39:55 AM »
Here's what it used to be called, before they put a graphic on the box.  ;)

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/crazytube/doctorboogey
- Guitar built from parts
- Random strings to make a full set
- Any pick that I can find on the floor
- Some pedals that I built
- My all-tube amp head that I built out of parts in my spares box
- Cheap Marshall 4x12 with better speakers fitted

mhartington

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:20:32 AM »
so its just a modded Dr Boogie then? Strange, I have a Dr Boogie but mine sounds no where as good as that one. I wonder what they changed.

alparent

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:43:15 AM »
so its just a modded Dr Boogie then? Strange, I have a Dr Boogie but mine sounds no where as good as that one. I wonder what they changed.

Maybe they changed nothing!?  Do they tell you what they plugged it in?
I'm french....If I make any mistakes....feel free to point them out!

DDD

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 08:37:31 AM »
Good and pretty versatile overdrive. Nothing really outstanding.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

mhartington

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:42:53 AM »
Yeah it's plugged into a dr z amp. Idk for some reason this one seems to sign more and sound better than other dr boogies I've seen/heard

wavley

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:16:30 AM »
Yeah it's plugged into a dr z amp. Idk for some reason this one seems to sign more and sound better than other dr boogies I've seen/heard

Maybe the others weren't plugged into Dr.Z amps, they tend to be good sounding amps.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

darlingtonpair.bandcamp.com
eccohollow.bandcamp.com

electrictabs

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:03:02 AM »
So sorry for replying after a year and a half but it's been long since i logged in and just found this post by accident

Yap Black Magic is based on Doctor Boogey. Crazy Tube Circuits is the brand name i use for my designs... It's been modded a little by adding 2 extra jfets after the eq emulating the response of the power amp and a couple of value changes to give the freq response i was happy with...

It is slightly lower gain than the original stuff with a touch of the earlier boogie sounds ;-)

Cheers

Christos Ntaifotis - electrictabs

frequencycentral

• Poster2
  • Kicking the sh!t of of your speakers since 2008
    • frequencycentral
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »
So sorry for replying after a year and a half but it's been long since i logged in and just found this post by accident

Yap Black Magic is based on Doctor Boogey. Crazy Tube Circuits is the brand name i use for my designs... It's been modded a little by adding 2 extra jfets after the eq emulating the response of the power amp and a couple of value changes to give the freq response i was happy with...

It is slightly lower gain than the original stuff with a touch of the earlier boogie sounds ;-)

Cheers

Christos Ntaifotis - electrictabs

^^^

We are in the presence of greatness. Christos/electrictabs designed the Dr Boogey:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=28854.0

If Christos had a $ for every Boogey that's been DIY'ed.......

Ettore_M

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »
I'm in awe, right now!  :o After I read Rick's reply, and having read the link he posted, I'm pretty much surprised!
Let me explain.  :) I met Christos in person last year (in a music gear expo, here in Greece), shortly after I got into DIY. I tried some of his pedals, including the Black Magic (really great stuff, by the way! If you haven't already, you should check his site.), we talked (he's a really great guy!  :D) and I told that I started building pedals, too. But, although I did know the Dr.Boogey project (and all the fuss of how great it sounds), I didn't know that in front of me, I had the man who designed one of the most popular DIY effects.
So, Chris, thank you! If we meet again, I'll thank you in person!  ;)

Hector
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:55:44 AM by Ettore_M »

electrictabs

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
If Christos had a $ for every Boogey that's been DIY'ed.......

....he'd be flying all over the world with his private jet  hehe ;D

but i'm just fine with the all the fuss about Dr. Boogey and happy to hear or see people building it after some years being published ;)

electrictabs

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »
I'm in awe, right now!  :o After I read Rick's reply, and having read the link he posted, I'm pretty much surprised!
Let me explain.  :) I met Christos in person last year (in a music gear expo, here in Greece), shortly after I got into DIY. I tried some of his pedals, including the Black Magic (really great stuff, by the way! If you haven't already, you should check his site.), we talked (he's a really great guy!  :D) and I told that I started building pedals, too. But, although I did know the Dr.Boogey project (and all the fuss of how great it sounds), I didn't know that in front of me, I had the man who designed one of the most popular DIY effects.
So, Chris, thank you! If we meet again, I'll thank you in person!  ;)

Hector

Thank you for the kind words Hector, hope we meet again ;-)

Ettore_M

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »
Me too, Chris!  ;)

deadastronaut

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 01:18:16 AM »
cheers christos....a truly great pedal project..  \m/  :icon_twisted:  \m/ 

http://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
http://deadastronaut.wix.com/index

^ CHASM REVERB / TREMSHIFTER / FAZE FILTER/ABDUCTOR II DELAY pcb's + WAH LIGHT PLATES.