Infect a pedal with Gate/Limiter knob?

Started by served, February 16, 2012, 07:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

served

Hi.

I know this is a pretty useless idea, but in some cases this is pure gold.
I would like to put a Gate/Limiter knob into a pedal. Lets assume its a simple Fuzz Face or its a Rebote Delay or what ever.

The thing is that while playing Bass or adding some spice to drum tracks, Limiter or Gate is a very good option.

Is there a simple Gate/Limiter schematic around? I could not find anything, but I think I didn't find it because I don't know how to call it.

Little help would be appreciated.

slacker

Not sure exactly what you want gating and limiting are two totally separate things. Gating is allowing signal through when it's above a certain level and shutting it up below that level. Limiting is controlling the maximum volume of a signal. Not sure there's any way to have a knob that would do both.

Mark Hammer

So many folks are doing all of their post-production in the digital domain now, and the software for it is so cheap and often free, that things like rackmount Behringer gate and limiter units can be had for a song.  You may want to try one of those.

served

Then I ment Gate.
Software is a good option, but if you play Bass and Fuzz and recording this then you would like to actually hear what is going on. Thats why I need analog device.
I will dig some more in schematics and will let you knwo if I find anything.

joegagan

i know this is a diy forum, but it might be that your quickest option a would be to pick up a stompbox compressor used for 30 or 40 bucks , then incorporate it into your fuzz loop in an interesting way.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

served

Hi.

I am still wondering.

And I would still want to build it.

In my mind the thing looks like 1 transistor, and it will open only if certain amount of signal is coming in and this point is adjustable.

How difficult would it be to build it?
I don't want to use digital or another pedal. Its not a compressor.

I want to cut the sound off, if the note is not ringing loud enough anymore. And that is bassically all that I need.

Is there something like this around? Something which is using Gate knob and can be used in other circuits aswell.