|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 06:32:54 PM
945657 Posts in 101563 Topics by 31678 Members
Latest Member: sikus
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  DIY Stompboxes  |  Building your own stompbox  |  Infect a pedal with Gate/Limiter knob? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Infect a pedal with Gate/Limiter knob?  (Read 866 times)
served

Infect a pedal with Gate/Limiter knob?
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:22:29 AM »

Hi.

I know this is a pretty useless idea, but in some cases this is pure gold.
I would like to put a Gate/Limiter knob into a pedal. Lets assume its a simple Fuzz Face or its a Rebote Delay or what ever.

The thing is that while playing Bass or adding some spice to drum tracks, Limiter or Gate is a very good option.

Is there a simple Gate/Limiter schematic around? I could not find anything, but I think I didn't find it because I don't know how to call it.

Little help would be appreciated.
slacker

Ian M. - England

Re: Re: Infect a pedal with Gate/Limiter knob?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:11:40 AM »

Not sure exactly what you want gating and limiting are two totally separate things. Gating is allowing signal through when it's above a certain level and shutting it up below that level. Limiting is controlling the maximum volume of a signal. Not sure there's any way to have a knob that would do both.
Mark Hammer

Re: Infect a pedal with Gate/Limiter knob?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:04 AM »

So many folks are doing all of their post-production in the digital domain now, and the software for it is so cheap and often free, that things like rackmount Behringer gate and limiter units can be had for a song.  You may want to try one of those.
served

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:37 AM »

Then I ment Gate.
Software is a good option, but if you play Bass and Fuzz and recording this then you would like to actually hear what is going on. Thats why I need analog device.
I will dig some more in schematics and will let you knwo if I find anything.
joegagan

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »

i know this is a diy forum, but it might be that your quickest option a would be to pick up a stompbox compressor used for 30 or 40 bucks , then incorporate it into your fuzz loop in an interesting way.
served

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »

Hi.

I am still wondering.

And I would still want to build it.

In my mind the thing looks like 1 transistor, and it will open only if certain amount of signal is coming in and this point is adjustable.

How difficult would it be to build it?
I don't want to use digital or another pedal. Its not a compressor.

I want to cut the sound off, if the note is not ringing loud enough anymore. And that is bassically all that I need.

Is there something like this around? Something which is using Gate knob and can be used in other circuits aswell.

aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:06:57 PM »

MXR Noise gate:
http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=18

Also:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=21109.0
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: