Beavis Board, building your own

Started by MrForbes, February 16, 2012, 10:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony grazioso

here's something i found while surfing the web..it looks compact enough with a low parts count...i hope it helps.

reveal

Smallbearelec.com has some good tutorials on using a breadboard. The article "the secret life of pots" on GEOFEX is excellent , in particular the part about using resistors to change the value.  That could cut down on the number of pots you need to buy , give students a lesson in resistance and making due with what you have. 

MrForbes

OK, Just got Electronics foe Guitarists by Denton Dailey!  Shuld be a good place to start the heavy learning. Thanks for the replies on the parts list.  Any suggestions where to source this stuff.

MrForbes

So I have decided to build one and figure out a cost per unit.  This way my administration can see what I am asking for and the $$ needed. I will be hoping to have at least six of these for the class as my physics classes are big and at least a team of four kids could work together with one unit.  Having 15 units would be awesome but that's never going to happen.

Darren

DocAmplify

When I was shopping for my enclosures I picked up a plastic enclosure that is transparent.  I thought it would make a good test enclosure because it would be easy to drill multiple holes (and it was). 

Although not nearly as durable (considering student use and abuse), the transparent feature would be pretty cool because it would also allow them to see inside so they have a view of the entire circuit. 

MrForbes

Quote from: DocAmplify on February 29, 2012, 10:31:02 AM
When I was shopping for my enclosures I picked up a plastic enclosure that is transparent.  I thought it would make a good test enclosure because it would be easy to drill multiple holes (and it was). 

Although not nearly as durable (considering student use and abuse), the transparent feature would be pretty cool because it would also allow them to see inside so they have a view of the entire circuit. 

I was thinking of that exact thing but I was going to just make a box with plexi or lexan I had scraps of.  However, a pre-made box would be easier.  Where did you find it?  Thanks

DocAmplify

I got it from my local shop here in Halifax, but it's a Hammond enclosure.  They're available online from Digi-Key.  

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll

That didn't link to the search I had performed.  Click "Boxes (7,402 items)".  Then scroll sideways until you get to the "Color" section.  Scroll down and pick "Translucent-Clear", then click the "Apply Filters" button. 

That should pull up your options. 

FastJunkie

Quote from: DocAmplify on February 29, 2012, 10:47:39 AM
I got it from my local shop here in Halifax, but it's a Hammond enclosure.  They're available online from Digi-Key.  

That didn't link to the search I had performed.  Click "Boxes (7,402 items)".  Then scroll sideways until you get to the "Color" section.  Scroll down and pick "Translucent-Clear", then click the "Apply Filters" button. 

Halifax you say? Was it from RAE?

artifus

does your school have a cdt (craft design technology) / metal work (or whatever they call it these days) department? if not a direct source of enclosures/front panels from discarded student projects, maybe a contact with cheap supplies? surely they have some kind of fabrication facilities you could perhaps make use of?

DocAmplify

Sorry; double post

DocAmplify

Quote from: FastJunkie on February 29, 2012, 11:12:05 AM
Quote from: DocAmplify on February 29, 2012, 10:47:39 AM

Halifax you say? Was it from RAE?

Yes

PRR

> high school ... Circuits are part of the curriculum and I have used some simple breadboard stuff in the past.  The kids really think it is cool...

It IS cool. I wish we'd had that when I was in high school. (We hammered an ashtray, and I spent some time drafting on paper. I had to fight for both classes; the admins thought "college prep" students should not actually do anything useful.)

> what kind of potentiometer should I use?

Beavis Board normally supplied: B1K, B10K, B50K, B100K, B500K, B1M, A25K, A100K, and A250K.

You do not need every value. You can always use a Linear where a Audio is suggested, or vice-versa.... just that all the action is crammed up in one end of the rotation. Awkward on stage but tolerable for experimentation. You do need a good assortment. Much like an all-round string instrument shop needs 3mm stuff for guitar ribs and 130mm stuff for piano ribs.

I like his wooden board. Easy to attach stuff to. Also, I looked-up where you are and suspect that wood is a local product. (Or maybe not: I'm in the Pine Tree State and my lumber is from Canada or New Zealand.... it's a strange-strange world we live in.)

I'm not keen on Plexiglas-like plastics for a classroom. They crack. 'Specially at the screw-holes. Mid-gauge Aluminum will yield with the blows. It drills easy, but (as you or the Metal Shop teacher knows) must be clamped or it will grab the drill and spin like a lawnmower blade.

After the prototype, recruit a couple students to assemble the rest. Co-op with Shop class or just stay after school. The mechanical assembly is a MAJOR part of learning electronics (and one I did not learn well).

Reach-out to pedal suppliers. Nobody can afford to give-away parts in this economy, or even a stiff discount. But you might learn that some of them may have an over-stock of specific parts, or of parts that differ from their catalog (7mm pots instead of 8mm pots, 500pFd instead of 470pFd) that they would discount to a good cause which didn't demand any specific size/value.

I once bought a 10,000-box of assorted resistors. Used 5% of it and lost it in the move. If I still had it, I'd send you many thousand resistors. I'm hoping someone here has a box they will never use-up and shares it with your class.

Get a dual-gang (stereo) 10K audio pot and a couple 1/8" Stereo jacks. With a chip and a 9V you have a Headphone amp to beef-up the Walkman/iPod (massive DIY community around these things). Scarf a speaker out of an old TV (or look backstage in the school!), put a LM386 in front (Ruby amp).... it won't shame your Fender but it can be really cool to see an entire audio system in action all student-DIY-ed.
  • SUPPORTER

CodeMonk

Here is something I made awhile back.
Hopefully you can find a use for it.
Toggle switch bypasses the signal (power still goes through the circuit).

Also this :
Just a Radio Shack rotary switch with a bunch of caps.

MrForbes

Hey thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I really appreciate it.  I am sure I will get some cash for parts from the school but I imagine much of it will come from my pocket.  That's OK.  I know the welding shop will help me out with whatever they can.  Plus it is just as good for me to get better projects in the classroom as it is for the kids.  It sucks when you don't have anything "real" or "valuable" to apply the theory. 

Quote from: PRR on March 01, 2012, 01:14:58 AM
> high school ... Circuits are part of the curriculum and I have used some simple breadboard stuff in the past.  The kids really think it is cool...

It IS cool. I wish we'd had that when I was in high school. (We hammered an ashtray, and I spent some time drafting on paper. I had to fight for both classes; the admins thought "college prep" students should not actually do anything useful.)

> what kind of potentiometer should I use?

Beavis Board normally supplied: B1K, B10K, B50K, B100K, B500K, B1M, A25K, A100K, and A250K.

You do not need every value. You can always use a Linear where a Audio is suggested, or vice-versa.... just that all the action is crammed up in one end of the rotation. Awkward on stage but tolerable for experimentation. You do need a good assortment. Much like an all-round string instrument shop needs 3mm stuff for guitar ribs and 130mm stuff for piano ribs.

I like his wooden board. Easy to attach stuff to. Also, I looked-up where you are and suspect that wood is a local product. (Or maybe not: I'm in the Pine Tree State and my lumber is from Canada or New Zealand.... it's a strange-strange world we live in.)

I'm not keen on Plexiglas-like plastics for a classroom. They crack. 'Specially at the screw-holes. Mid-gauge Aluminum will yield with the blows. It drills easy, but (as you or the Metal Shop teacher knows) must be clamped or it will grab the drill and spin like a lawnmower blade.

After the prototype, recruit a couple students to assemble the rest. Co-op with Shop class or just stay after school. The mechanical assembly is a MAJOR part of learning electronics (and one I did not learn well).

Reach-out to pedal suppliers. Nobody can afford to give-away parts in this economy, or even a stiff discount. But you might learn that some of them may have an over-stock of specific parts, or of parts that differ from their catalog (7mm pots instead of 8mm pots, 500pFd instead of 470pFd) that they would discount to a good cause which didn't demand any specific size/value.

I once bought a 10,000-box of assorted resistors. Used 5% of it and lost it in the move. If I still had it, I'd send you many thousand resistors. I'm hoping someone here has a box they will never use-up and shares it with your class.

Get a dual-gang (stereo) 10K audio pot and a couple 1/8" Stereo jacks. With a chip and a 9V you have a Headphone amp to beef-up the Walkman/iPod (massive DIY community around these things). Scarf a speaker out of an old TV (or look backstage in the school!), put a LM386 in front (Ruby amp).... it won't shame your Fender but it can be really cool to see an entire audio system in action all student-DIY-ed.

MrForbes

Hey Everyone,

I am still waiting for some parts to arrive to build my first version to take to the admin folks.  I got my breadboard, some nicer breadboard wires, power jack stuff and other cheap stuff I could get locally.  I have some pots and other goodies in the mail.  The sucky part was the shipping was almost as much as the parts!  Oh well.  I will have to be more diligent in finding a CND supplier I guess.  I will never get away with ordering all my parts from the US with the shipping rates.  I have a few CND sources but nothing as extensive as in the US.  Plus the US prices are better when you add everything up.  I might have to look a little closer and see if the shipping is not so bad with the offset of prices.  However, it will be hard to convince the admin that buying from the US is my best option.  Oh well, the first one is coming out of my pocket anyway.  Again, I will keep you updated as things progress.

I also decided on a few schematics for pedals they will likely be familiar with like a tube screamer, fuzz pedal, and a simple delay/echo type pedal.  Any other suggestions for something cool but not too complex (meaning hard to find parts and IC's).  Thanks

Darren

DocAmplify

The Bazz Fuzz is really easy.  The meat of the effect is two components; a transistor and a diode.  I made my first one with the suggested transistor and diode, but then substituted different diodes and transistors.  They sound a little different, but still delivers the same effect.  I picked up a box of assorted diodes and a box of assorted NPN transistors from Circuit city.  As you mentioned, it's great to avoid shipping costs. 

http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

Bham Dave

Hey all,

As a long time Beavis Audio Research fan, and someone who is looking to build his own Beavis Board, I was saddened to see that as of last Friday, the domain for BAR has expired and therefore is unavailable. All of the projects and the awesome advice Dano has given is gone for the moment. Hopefully renewal of the site domain is imminent.

Bham Dave

Just saw that there's a post where it tells you where you can contribute to keep the site up. Guess Dano's hit some financial difficulties. Even if you can just throw a few dollars toward it, it's worth it. The BAR site is priceless. On the main page look for "Beavis site down."

davent

Hadn't realized you were in Canada. For shipping charges to Canada you may have to look to Asia for your best deals. Tayda in Thailand has cheap prices on pots, switches and other things and extremely reasonable shipping though it may take a while to arrive. I understand the resistors they sell have pretty flimsy leads that make for difficult breadboarding so avoid those.

I've ordered breadboards, jumpers and various other bits from ebay stores and on many of those the shipping has been free. On ebay you can sort your search so the items are listed in order starting with the lowest combined item price  plus shipping so you get a true picture of the cost up front. Never been nabbed by the border patrol either for shipments from Asia.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/

If you're ever out Toronto way Honson Computers is a good spot to stock up on cheap pots, resisitors, caps, breadboards etc.

A good supplier of Hammond products is Tip Top Electronics in Winnipeg, best prices i've seen in Canada.
Another would be Electrosonic if you are looking for enclosures and various plugs and jacks.

http://www.tiptopelectronics.com/home.asp?txtQuery=1590B
http://www.e-sonic.com/acc/home.aspx

Take care
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg