Fuzz face clone problem HELP please!

Started by caseyf, February 19, 2012, 11:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseyf

Okay when plugged in now, theres a harsh fuzz sound when the strings are strummed really hard.

caseyf

Quote from: LucifersTrip on February 24, 2012, 03:00:52 AM
Quote from: caseyf on February 24, 2012, 01:46:39 AM
Okay, I just made a completely new one, new board and components because I had spare. New boards much more neat and laid out better than the last one. EXACT same problem. Not enough voltage on the base of Q1(there is 0.1V). So if I managed to get the exact same problem when making it twice does that mean the schematic isn't correct? Like I need to change some components??

that schematic is good, so sadly, it seems you're making the same mystery mistake as before.

I just realized (unless I missed it) that you haven't told us what transistors you were using...or whether you measured their gains.

...and we still need all voltages for both transistors....and of course, pics always help.

good luck

Okay so i changed the input from stereo to mono and now its giving me fuzz, but only when I pluck really loud. So the circuits working but theres not enough gain going into the transistors I'm assuming.

Transistors are BC183L and I havnt measured their gains?
Voltages:

Q1
C 8.7
B 0.1
E 0.2

Q2
C 8.8
B 8.7
E 0.2

Solidhex

You need to post pictures. The sooner you post pics the sooner everyone can figure what's wrong.

caseyf

Sorry about them being super big, tell me if these angles are useless or not and if so what pics would be helpful.

caseyf

HOLD UP A SECOND... I read a datasheet that said bc1873Ls are CBE when looking at the flat side.. I have reason to believe that they are in fact ECB??

caseyf

Switched the transistor pins, assuming they are in fact ECB,  but the sound is exactly the same? only get sound when strum the @#$% out of the strings still.
Voltages now:

Q1
C 8.7
B 7.9
E 8.5

Q2
C 8.9
B 8.7
E 8.5

Now that I know the pinout is ECB.. the gains of the transistors are 480 and 321

caseyf

Quote from: caseyf on February 24, 2012, 07:04:38 AM
Switched the transistor pins, assuming they are in fact ECB,  but the sound is exactly the same? only get sound when strum the @#$% out of the strings still.

Now that I know the pinout is ECB.. the gains of the transistors i have are 480, 300 and 321

joegagan

pardon my french. 
there is a whole bunch of shit shorting out over here, go back to what ( me and a bunch of other guys) said 3 days ago.
trace your freaking circuit, you have shit touching that should not be touching.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

caseyf

Quote from: joegagan on February 24, 2012, 06:01:04 PM
pardon my french. 
there is a whole bunch of sh*t shorting out over here, go back to what ( me and a bunch of other guys) said 3 days ago.
trace your freaking circuit, you have sh*t touching that should not be touching.
Are you saying that from the picture or just assuming? I assure you none of the parallel tracks are connected with bridges or anything despite what it looks like in the photo. So by sh*t touching do you mean things actually put in the wrong places and connecting to the wrong things?

joegagan

i did not study the picture.i looked at your posts and voltage readings. not trying to be an ass, just telling you, you have something touching where it should not. or something not hooked up.

you are very close to finding the answer, it is in you, not us.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

caseyf

Quote from: joegagan on February 24, 2012, 07:18:03 PM
i did not study the picture.i looked at your posts and voltage readings. not trying to be an ass, just telling you, you have something touching where it should not. or something not hooked up.

You're not being an ass, I appreciate your help. Thanks I'll scrutinize the @#$% out of it. in process of testing with the meter what every single pin of every component is and isnt connected to.

caseyf

Quote from: caseyf on February 24, 2012, 07:46:39 PM
Quote from: joegagan on February 24, 2012, 07:18:03 PM

You're not being an ass, I appreciate your help. Thanks I'll scrutinize the @#$% out of it. in process of testing with the meter what every single pin of every component is and isnt connected to.

PS, could any of the caps or anything be ruined from having the transistors in the wrong way all this time?

joegagan

LucifersTrip

the highest chance of bad component would probably be a transistor since you've resoldered em numerous times, but if you got gains as you noted, they're probably ok.

it's difficult to check if everything is ok from a vero (especially since I never used vero), but it'd be easier if you posted a layout you used...if indeed you did use one. here's one:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/philbinator1/Fuzzfacesilicon.gif

one last note...if you have the transistors out, place the higher gain one in the Q2 spot...when you get it working, it'll probably sound better.
always think outside the box

caseyf

Quote from: LucifersTrip on February 24, 2012, 08:25:54 PM
the highest chance of bad component would probably be a transistor since you've resoldered em numerous times, but if you got gains as you noted, they're probably ok.

it's difficult to check if everything is ok from a vero (especially since I never used vero), but it'd be easier if you posted a layout you used...if indeed you did use one. here's one:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/philbinator1/Fuzzfacesilicon.gif

one last note...if you have the transistors out, place the higher gain one in the Q2 spot...when you get it working, it'll probably sound better.

I didn't use a layout as I couldn't find one suitable to my board (the one you posted would have perfect perfect if only I'd found it). I could draw mine up if that would help. Everything is connected to what is should be and not connected to anything else on the circuit board. I literally just checked every single pin with every single other pin. Nothing missed. I'm wondering whether it's my caps, I'm not 100% the 0.01 is actually 0.01uF, and the 20uF is replaced with a 22uF. The voltages of the caps don't matter right?

joegagan

your caps are plenty big enough, i think.

just so you can have a win and get excited about this whole hobby again, try building the whole thing again ( you have a big old perfboard there). re-use parts if you have to but preferably leave the current one as-is so you can check it later when you are more adroit.

caseyf

I just changed the input from mono to stereo AND ITS WORKING. @#$% YESSSS. only thing now is theres a really high pitched frequency in the background when i play, and when the volume and fuzz are both on full there is an extremely evil sounding staticky feedback thats unbearable. any thoughts on how to remove these?

slideman82

Those are the consecuences of messing with a Si FF! You'll have to place a small cap, 100p for example, between C and B of transistor n°2. This will roll off some highs. If squealling doesn't disappear, try a larger cap, 150p, 220p, and so on. Start with 47p, high values roll off more highs.
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

caseyf

Quote from: slideman82 on February 24, 2012, 09:50:11 PM
Those are the consecuences of messing with a Si FF! You'll have to place a small cap, 100p for example, between C and B of transistor n°2. This will roll off some highs. If squealling doesn't disappear, try a larger cap, 150p, 220p, and so on. Start with 47p, high values roll off more highs.
K, thanks ill do that. it works perfectly with a Hot dot box (pre amp/boost) before it however. without that the fuzz fizzles out while the clean singles keeps sustaining

joegagan

congrats, you are welcome and all that. remember, i told you 3 days ago you would get it?
you done good kid, now, thank your elders.