Transformer for valve dirt pedal

Started by drainbamage, February 22, 2012, 10:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drainbamage

Hi people, new to the fourm and am looking for help with a high voltage cascaded dirt pedal.
Ive built a 18 watt before and for my second project Id like to build a all valve dirt pedal to use it with that amp.

Im having a hard time figuring out what transformer id need.  Based on london powers preamp kits he uses a pair of Hammonds 229 series transformers. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=Hammond+229+transformer  I assume ones for the heaters and the others for the plates.
http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=62

Could some one point out a hammond 229 series transformer or the two that would be good to run a single cascaded 12ax7 at high volts.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

PRR

I can read the factory part numbers on London's product picture.

Yes, that can power several tubes, but transformers don't come much cheaper than this.

There ARE several well-specified plans on THIS forum for tube pedals and small power supplies.

There ARE many-many well-specified plans around the internet for tube pedals and small power supplies.

• SUPPORTER

drainbamage

I suppose my question was regarding those Hammond transformers..
The transformers used in the london power kit will be fine to power just one 12ax7?  He powers two with enough current for six.  Seriously Im a bit baffled.

I have the bottle rocket schematic but it dose not specify transformer brand, while the GTO uses MM transformers that I expect to be expensive. I couldnt even find them on MMs site.

Those are the best that ive found using high volts on the net and even this site. I apologize if I over looked something

Thanks

iccaros

its not a hammond, but http://www.ebay.com/itm/110VAC-150VAC-6-3VAC-Out-10W-Transformer-fr-Preamp-/250810379667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6576ad93#ht_1306wt_1110 but is smaller, will do 20ma, and since a12ax7 you are talking 6 MA each triode max, but more like 3 ma for both. @150vac after rectification your 150 *1.414 = 212V.
or if you think you need higher, which I do not believe you need to a cascade 12ax7 design, I have ran them @ 90v and it sounds alot like my firefly at 265v.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/115-230V-230V-6-3V-6-3VAC-Out-30W-Power-Transformer-/260775586606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb76fab2e#ht_1312wt_1110 which after rectification should give around 325v

defaced

Allied stocks a few transformers made for them by Hammond which are right up your alley.  There's been some discussion on here about them, I have purchased two of them and my testing of them has been favorable.  About half the way down on this catalog page: http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.aspx?fn=986.pdf
-Mike

Minion

Quote from: drainbamage on February 23, 2012, 03:13:19 AM
The transformers used in the london-power kit will be fine to power just one 12ax7?  He powers two with enough current for six.  Seriously Im a bit baffled.

I have the bottle rocket schematic but it dose not specify transformer brand, while the GTO uses MM transformers that I expect to be expensive. I couldnt even find them on MMs site.

Those are the best that ive found using high volts on the net and even this site. I apologize if I over looked something

Thanks

What London Power Preamp kit are you buying ?? I have a single sided home brew PCB design from one of their kit schematics that you can use if you want to etch at home .....

The one I have uses 2 12ax7 tubes and runs off of 300v DC and uses under 5 ma of current , it also uses 12ac for the heaters at 600ma , I also used a home etched board for the PSU ....

The transformer I used put out 220v AC at 35ma and 12.6v at 1a , so any Hammond transformer with those specs will work for a 2 tube 12ax7 preamp .....

Cheers
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

DavenPaget

Quote from: Minion on February 23, 2012, 06:34:10 PM
Quote from: drainbamage on February 23, 2012, 03:13:19 AM
The transformers used in the london-power kit will be fine to power just one 12ax7?  He powers two with enough current for six.  Seriously Im a bit baffled.

Thanks

What London Power Preamp kit are you buying ?? I have a single sided home brew PCB design from one of their kit schematics that you can use if you want to etch at home .....

The one I have uses 2 12ax7 tubes and runs off of 300v DC and uses under 5 ma of current , it also uses 12ac for the heaters at 600ma , I also used a home etched board for the PSU ....

The transformer I used put out 220v AC at 35ma and 12.6v at 1a , so any Hammond transformer with those specs will work for a 2 tube 12ax7 preamp .....

Cheers
20W tranny all just for a tube  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_lol:
8.7W for your preamp .
Come to think of it , how much power does my preamp use ? 0.24W  :icon_lol:
Hiatus

Minion

Hey, I"m just saying that is what I used not what is needed .... I clearly stated that the preamp draws 5ma .....
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

DavenPaget

Quote from: Minion on February 23, 2012, 07:41:58 PM
Hey, I"m just saying that is what I used not what is needed .... I clearly stated that the preamp draws 5ma .....
And 600mA for your heaters  :icon_mrgreen:
I was talking about some idiot on another forum who kept bragging about his tube preamp going as low as 2ma ... WE all shot solid state insults at him .
Hiatus