Bypass Strip Problem

Started by spfautz, February 23, 2012, 11:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spfautz

I've made my own True bypass strip.  It looks like this.

Right now I've got a ton of hum when plugged through the strip, and I'm getting popping when the switches are pushed.  This hum is increased when I touch the plugs themselves on the back (see below).  I think this is a ground issue.  Could this be that my ground lugs (see below) on my jacks aren't all properly grounded to each other and my power?

thoughts?

thanks

CurtisWCole

If possible try isolating the jacks from the enclosure. The hum could easily be ground loop issues. Some people have to push the switches a few times before using it to get rid of pops. Also could you provide or make the wiring setup you used? Maybe we could find an answer there.
Composers shouldn't think too much - it interferes with their plagiarism.
Howard Dietz

spfautz

This is the diagram I used from Bevis Audio Research.   I should also mention that the bypass strip was functioning correctly before.  I've recently rearranged the pedals. I am using the planet waves "make your own" cables kit so it could be that some of the patch cables were jostled and have a loose connection, but I was leaning against this because the problem exists when all the switches are off as well (which would be bypassing all of the cables.  I've tried different cables for the main in and out of the strip.

Are you saying that I could have a stray ground connection that is touching the enclosure causing the problem?

CurtisWCole

QuoteAre you saying that I could have a stray ground connection that is touching the enclosure causing the problem?
Not necessarily. As long as ground is sent to one of the sleeve lugs of one jack, the enclosure is grounded...which is good. Every sleeve is now connected to ground via contact with the enclosure, you are also sending a ground wire to each of the sleeves again. So you have a couple options to go with, but aren't always necessary. Using plastic jacks on all except one ( usually the input ) and making the ground connections just with the lugs. Or disconnecting the sleeve lugs on all jacks but one.
QuoteI should also mention that the bypass strip was functioning correctly before.  I've recently rearranged the pedals. I am using the planet waves "make your own" cables kit so it could be that some of the patch cables were jostled and have a loose connection
With your situation I would check the new cables first with a DMM, checking both the tip and sleeve for continuity. Then I would check for continuity inside the enclosure. Making sure all your connections are secure. It could be that something has come loose inside, like a ground wire. Definitely go this route first before deconstructing.

I certainly hope this helps and I'll keep trying if you want,

Curtis
Howard Dietz

spfautz

So... Things are different but maybe worse now. 

Here is my pedal board.

I've opened my strip, checked continuity, found a couple of stray ground wires that have been fixed, and the noise/hum that was previously there is much lower, and the popping is also pretty quiet.  Now however I have more problems.  Weird things are happening. 

Problem 1
My chain starts with the EB VP jr.  I had this one modded by this1smyne to remove the tone suck by adding a buffer/splitter for the tuner out.  I use my tuner (through the tuner out on the volume pedal) in an always on way with the mode set on the cascading led's left to right while tuning.  When I'm not playing, the tuner has cascading lights intermittently just letting me know its on.  This is normal function as I understand it.  The problem is that when this friendly reminder is occurring, I'm getting a buzz sound through my amp.  Super annoying. 

Problem 2
On the opposite end of my chain I have a boss dd7.  I've chosen to install a soft touch momentary switch at the end of my bypass strip for the tap tempo (which I thought was a cool idea).  I don't get noise from my delay until I tap in the tempo.  After I've done this, I get a soft thump sound everytime the LED flashes on the pedal (which sounds like my pedal board has a heartbeat.)

I don't have any idea what the problem could be.  Both the tuner out and tap tempo out are functions that that don't even go to the amp anyway, how are they getting noise to my speaker.  Inside my switcher, all of the grounds are connected, and the signal is getting through in bypass and effect modes.

Thanks for the help.

Stefan

CurtisWCole

What this sounds like to me is a power supply issue. (Not that they're broken or anything) If you have access to more regulated wall warts, then I would use them. I've experienced the same sort of clock noises and other digital type sounds bleeding in because I didn't have things powered correctly. First things first, if you're daisy chaining, use a separate power supply for the pedals and another for the bypass strip. Some digital pedals really don't like being powered with other pedals. (For me, my CE-20 will not let me daisy chain.) Separate wall warts get rid of ground loop issues when using multiple pedals.

Curtis
Howard Dietz

spfautz

it seems like the power is my problem.  The weird noises are gone when the tuner and dd-7 have their own power supply.  I've had them both for a long time though with no problems, and I've always powered them with other pedals.  Could it be they need to first (or last) in the daisy chain?  Or is possible they just don't get along with one of my other pedals, and that's the one that needs to come out of the power chain?  Also I should mention that the picture doesn't show my Xotic AC plus that sits in the gap next to the volume pedal (it was being repaired when I took the picture).  Right now they are powered off of two One Spots, and I'm hoping the answer to the problem isn't that I have to get a PP2.

Stefan

CurtisWCole

Typically I've had no trouble with my dd-6 when it comes to noises. Make sure to power the pedals in the same order that they are sequenced. (For starters, that is.) PP2 is an awesome, however too expensive, solution. Try this if you feel you need to add another adapter. IMO, I think that this would fix it up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390081074936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I use one of these for sometime now, and it's a clean supply. And I would use a separate power supply for the strip. But play with the daisy chain order until the sound goes away.

Hope this helps,

Curtis
Howard Dietz

R.G.

Quote from: spfautz on February 25, 2012, 12:35:39 PM
it seems like the power is my problem.  The weird noises are gone when the tuner and dd-7 have their own power supply.  I've had them both for a long time though with no problems, and I've always powered them with other pedals.  Could it be they need to first (or last) in the daisy chain?  Or is possible they just don't get along with one of my other pedals, and that's the one that needs to come out of the power chain?  Also I should mention that the picture doesn't show my Xotic AC plus that sits in the gap next to the volume pedal (it was being repaired when I took the picture).  Right now they are powered off of two One Spots, and I'm hoping the answer to the problem isn't that I have to get a PP2.
I've always been mildly amazed that with 1Spots costing $20-$30 depending on where you buy them, people want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on pedal powers. But that's just me.  :icon_lol:

Sometimes if a pedal was supposed to have an AC power supply, it has a rectifier as the first thing the incoming power plug supplies. That forces an offset of its "ground" from the voltage on the incoming power. This can make for ugly hum/click situations. Does the DD7 have an AC power supply it specifies or comes with? Sorry - I'm clueless about DD7s.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

spfautz

So after trying numerous different power chain combos, it seems that the problem is in the This1smyne modded volume pedal.  This pedal when powered with a daisy chain to the tuner or DD-7 is what is causing the weird noise.  Does this make sense?  I even powered every pedal on the same chain without problems if the VP JR is powered separately.  This is however after I have removed my bypass strip because I have to play tomorrow, and I needed to get down to something reliable.

It certainly seems a little ridiculous that I'll need to power my buffer all by itself moving forward though.

Stefan

CurtisWCole

Dude I know what you mean. Like I said before my boss ce20 has to have an adapter all to itself. It sucks but I'd rather deal with that than the god awful noise. But daisy chaining has never been the ideal powering situation. Worse case try just running the guitar through the tuner then to the volume and see if that gets rid of that noise. Having 2 buffers in the chain isn't that bad tho. But hey, at least we figured it out.

Curtis
Howard Dietz

spfautz

ya thanks for all the help.

stefan

R.G.

Quote from: spfautz on February 25, 2012, 07:33:28 PM
So after trying numerous different power chain combos, it seems that the problem is in the This1smyne modded volume pedal.  This pedal when powered with a daisy chain to the tuner or DD-7 is what is causing the weird noise.  Does this make sense?  I even powered every pedal on the same chain without problems if the VP JR is powered separately.  This is however after I have removed my bypass strip because I have to play tomorrow, and I needed to get down to something reliable.

It certainly seems a little ridiculous that I'll need to power my buffer all by itself moving forward though.
It does indeed. I think that since it's a modded pedal that's causing issues, it would make sense to find out *why* it's causing the problems.

My first suspicion would be DC on the volume pot and/or output of the modded volume pedal. Get out your meter...  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

spfautz

So I would be checking for voltage on the pot and the output tip?  Correct?

CurtisWCole

Well now you have the Master helping you.

QuoteSometimes if a pedal was supposed to have an AC power supply, it has a rectifier as the first thing the incoming power plug supplies. That forces an offset of its "ground" from the voltage on the incoming power. This can make for ugly hum/click situations. Does the DD7 have an AC power supply it specifies or comes with? Sorry - I'm clueless about DD7s.

I don't think any of the new boss pedals have any special powering requirements any more.(At least my dd6 doesn't) They just use the good ol' 1spots like everyone else these days. Great pedals IMO.

P.S. Mr. Keen, I'm a huge fan. Thanks for all that you do.

Curtis
Howard Dietz