Weird going - ons: true bypass -> no sound!

Started by Brynngar, January 14, 2016, 08:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brynngar

Hey everyone,

I just finished my 3rd pedal, after the first 2 worked out very well. The thing is now that, even though I
did the switch wiring for true bypass identically to the first two, I get no sound when plugged in an amp.
What makes this weird:
When I check the connections with my multimeter (on 'beep - mode'), I DO have a connection. Also,
when I just touch the input cable (going form my guitar into the pedal input), I get the usual 'clicking' sound
that one would expect.
So pretty much: Everything seems normal, except that there is no actual sound. I tried the PCB before soldering everything together,
and that also worked fine (and should not influence the bypass anyway).

Below is a picture of the whole thing, if anyone has an idea, I would be most grateful!  :)

canman

I'd assume you tested the circuit out of the enclosure...is your PCB or a wire shorting out on the enclosure somewhere?

Ben Lyman

Does this white ground wire go anywhere else? Does it need to? I can't tell but I thought the ground wire had to run all around to everything even if you are counting on the enclosure to provide a complete ground circuit.

"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

mth5044

Jdansti

Quote from: mth5044 on January 14, 2016, 09:31:11 PM
...is your guitar plugged in/volume up?

+1

Also, 1) does your guitar work when plugged straight into the amp, and 2) what happens when you place a temporary jumper wire between the tips of the two jacks?

Edit: As canman noted, everything is grounded through the box. Try placing a wire between the ground lugs of the two jacks.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Brynngar

:D Yes, my guitar works perfectly fine. Tried the same setup with my other pedal, there I got sound. After getting some sleep, it
seems that there is a connection between signal and ground on the output jack, once I take it out of the enclosure, tthat connection is interrupted
(between the tip and shield of the output jack).
QuoteDoes this white ground wire go anywhere else?

It goes from the input jack shield to the 9v input ground.

Update: Seemingly it was not the uotput. Still, there is an undesired ground connection... somewhere.

UPDATE:
The input jack was defect, that son of a bitch! Now it works just as planned. Case closed, thanks for your attention  ;D

Jdansti

Since you don't have a ground wire connecting the sleeves of the jacks to each other, I'm wondering how it works when you remove it from the enclosure.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

antonis

Quote from: Jdansti on January 15, 2016, 03:37:58 AM
Since you don't have a ground wire connecting the sleeves of the jacks to each other, I'm wondering how it works when you remove it from the enclosure.
By placing it on a metallic surface, perhaps..  :icon_wink:
(bare sleeves are prone to short-circuits..)  :icon_biggrin:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

cloudscapes

from the photo, it looks like the input jack solder tabs could be touching.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

deadastronaut

those cheapo jacks are plain nasty.....

pay a bit more for your jacks, they get a lot of use/abuse... :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//