How do I make a pedal that picks up radio stations?

Started by Shawbrook, February 26, 2012, 04:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawbrook

Usually people see it as a problem when their pedal picks up a radio station, but I want to make one that does this on purpose.  :icon_cool: How would I do this?

R.G.

Quote from: Shawbrook on February 26, 2012, 04:26:07 PM
Usually people see it as a problem when their pedal picks up a radio station, but I want to make one that does this on purpose.  :icon_cool: How would I do this?
I would use the headphone output of a real radio with a volume control.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

mremic01

Lack of shielding?

I've thought about this myself but never really looked into it. Most of the Rubies I've built seem to pick up radio when there's an issue with grounding, or when the board isn't inside of a grounded enclosure. I thought about putting a 'radio switch' on one that messed with the grounding scheme to get some radio noise mixed in with my signal, but I pedal that just feeds it into your amp is an even better idea. It would be really cool to incorporate into quieter parts of songs.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

LucifersTrip

always think outside the box

Shawbrook

Could I also buy a small, cheap radio, take the electronics out and put them in a pedal?

anchovie

You could, but there might be a lot of drilling/cutting/filing of your pedal enclosure depending on what the radio's controls are like. Make a little pedal that switches between bypass and a pot that mixes a second input jack with your guitar signal. You can plug any radio with a headphone socket into the other input, plus you have the versatility of being able to use other noise/sound sources in future!
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

chi_boy

Quote from: R.G. on February 26, 2012, 05:43:00 PM

Why not go one step further and use the headphone out from a recording device or mp3 player.   Radio alone could be unpredictable based on location.   I mean if the effect you're after if a talk show in the background and all you can tune in is the local hip-hop station then the effect would be lost.   
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Paul Marossy

Quote from: R.G. on February 26, 2012, 05:43:00 PM
Usually people see it as a problem when their pedal picks up a radio station, but I want to make one that does this on purpose.  :icon_cool: How would I do this?

Not a bad idea. But I wonder if the OP wants it to be random or "always on"? And if always on, then it's stuck on one station.

anchovie

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 27, 2012, 10:29:57 AM
And if always on, then it's stuck on one station.

Not if you got the tuning capacitor out into an expression pedal!  ;D
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Zipslack

386-based circuits are very sensitive to radio signals...even found a project on Instructables.com one time for making a radio using a 386 chip.  Basically, just a smokey-amp type circuit using a long wire (antenna) at the input pin instead of a guitar signal.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: anchovie on February 27, 2012, 10:46:33 AM

Not if you got the tuning capacitor out into an expression pedal!  ;D

Ha ha, great idea!  :icon_idea:

pinkjimiphoton

build a high gain fuzz with no filtering on the power supply, and shield all connections backwards...ie with the shield connected to hot.

you'll pull in all kindsa noise.

or, just use planet waves cables...<j/k>

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=95996.0;topicseen
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

artifus

Quote from: Paul Marossy on February 27, 2012, 11:11:25 AM
Quote from: anchovie on February 27, 2012, 10:46:33 AM

Not if you got the tuning capacitor out into an expression pedal!  ;D

Ha ha, great idea!  :icon_idea:

most of the cheap fm radios i've seen for sale recently have had push button scan up/down tuning buttons - an easy hack surely?  what you pick up at home/rehearsal space/venue/studio will vary greatly depending on the environment so much as i love random i'm not sure how much i'd rely on it for performance beyond improv.

also: silver apples, anyone?

Joe Hart

Build a Fuzz Face the way that I build them! I don't know what I do exactly, but I pick up radio stations!
-Joe Hart

seedlings

Quote from: Joe Hart on February 29, 2012, 01:23:24 PM
Build a Fuzz Face the way that I build them! I don't know what I do exactly, but I pick up radio stations!
-Joe Hart

Yep.  Everything I breadboard is an instant radio receiver.  I don't know if it's the enclosure, or blind luck so far, but the radio goes away once it's pedaled up.

CHAD

armstrom

Just use an integrated FM receiver module controlled by a small micro controller. Something like this would do nicely:
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Sound/tabid/164/CategoryID/38/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/749/Default.aspx

It uses I2C to control the volume, tuning, muting, whatever...
-Matt