troubleshooting silicon npn fuzz face

Started by cparx, February 26, 2012, 04:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cparx

Hi, I worked up one of these npn silicon fuzz faces and am getting a weird reading after the 33k resistor, looking for a little input.

9v. (which measures 8.61v) runs into a 33k resistor (that I tested before putting it into the circuit), reads fine on the 9v side, but drops down to 0.05v on the other side.  This runs into the base of Q2, which also reads 0.05v - but that's not the value I'm looking for.  I know my Q values are off from the target, but I really am trying to figure out what's up with that voltage drop after the 33k. 

The effect just doesn't do anything when it's on and I feel like it's because there's something odd happening with the voltage coming from there.

Any insight?  Thanks!

Q1 should read...
C = 1.4
B = 0.6
E = 0.0

Q2 should read...
C = 4.5
B = 1.4
E = 0.8

for Q1 I have
C = 0.05
B = 0.7
E = 0.0

and for Q2 I have...
C = 7.5 (i know its off, but I haven't touched the trim pot yet)
B = 0.05
E = 1.41

LucifersTrip

Quote from: cparx on February 26, 2012, 04:38:51 PM
Hi, I worked up one of these npn silicon fuzz faces and am getting a weird reading after the 33k resistor, looking for a little input.

9v. (which measures 8.61v) runs into a 33k resistor (that I tested before putting it into the circuit), reads fine on the 9v side, but drops down to 0.05v on the other side.  This runs into the base of Q2, which also reads 0.05v - but that's not the value I'm looking for.  I know my Q values are off from the target, but I really am trying to figure out what's up with that voltage drop after the 33k. 

The effect just doesn't do anything when it's on and I feel like it's because there's something odd happening with the voltage coming from there.

Any insight?  Thanks!

Q1 should read...
C = 1.4
B = 0.6
E = 0.0

Q2 should read...
C = 4.5
B = 1.4
E = 0.8

for Q1 I have
C = 0.05
B = 0.7
E = 0.0

and for Q2 I have...
C = 7.5 (i know its off, but I haven't touched the trim pot yet)
B = 0.05
E = 1.41

when you're that far off, it's usually a bad transistor, mis-oriented transistor or wiring error/bad connection. Q1 is not even working with those numbers.

best to check everything around that area. is it breadboarded?

if you post clear closeup pics, someone may spot an error

...and always remeber

good luck
always think outside the box

cparx

Nice image, definitely went though the debugging.  Home-etched board, triple checked continuity - I am using some old, old sockets, but they're fine too.  I have swapped out the transistors and found the same readings.  I also thought that I might have put them in backwards and definitely got even more off readings - so I'm pretty sure I'm reading the pins correctly off of my bags.  I'm still stumped though as to why there's that huge of a voltage drop off the 33k.

silifuzz by cparx, on Flickr