Help with Schematics

Started by fawkes89, February 27, 2012, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fawkes89

I am very new to making stomp boxes and have been comparing the schematics to many of the popular od pedals. I see many like qualitys between pedals but I really just need someone to point out with parts of the schematics represent the different functions. (sorry if any of my questions are ignorant) Take for example, the boss od-1. Right before the first opamp on this pedal there is a 4.7k resistor and a .047 cap going to ground. the circuit then goes directly into the IC. Is this the lowpass filter? I guess i just need some clues and tell tale signs of identifying which parts of the board determine low end, highend, disortion, where tone is controlled and where a pot would go to adjust this, etc. Really any piece of info that you found helpfull when starting out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

R.G.

Try taking a look at the "Technology of the..." series of articles at http://www.geofex.com.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

fawkes89

Electron Tornado

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

LucifersTrip

firstly, since you're new, I would suggest a smaller (< 20 components) project than the Boss OD-1

after you breadboard it, swap out every resistor for a pot one at a time and listen to the effect. swap out every cap for smaller & larger ones and listen to the effect.

you will also start to realize that some of the larger designs are made up of many of those smaller designs.
always think outside the box

fawkes89

Ok now I know that the low pass filter comes after the gain stage and before the tone stage on a od-1. Thanks for all your help guys. I was psyched to find this forum and Im even more psyched now that I have seen how much help you all are. Thanks again. Oh and i totally agree about starting on something smaller first. I was thinking maybe a copy of the LPB-1 booster. There are much fewer parts in that pedal.

Electron Tornado

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?