|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 02:36:10 PM
972729 Posts in 103671 Topics by 33095 Members
Latest Member: Bagman
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  DIY Stompboxes  |  Building your own stompbox  |  Fuzz Face with a Rangemaster tonality? help ! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuzz Face with a Rangemaster tonality? help !  (Read 1554 times)
aeiou

Fuzz Face with a Rangemaster tonality? help !
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »

I'm using the Easy-Face schematic --

What should I do if I want more of a soft OD/trebly/rangemaster tonality out of my fuzz face -- I've already potted down the pregain a bit -- the equivalent of turning down the guitars input volume -- and adjusted the bias and voltage for a little more headroom.

I still want this to be a fuzz/od, but what should i swap out to get a more unctuous treble/soft clipping sound?
seedlings

Chad B. KC, MO

Re: Fuzz Face with a Rangemaster tonality? help !
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:20:24 PM »

Make the input cap a .0047uF instead of a 2.2uF or whatever.  The original Dallas Rangemaster is said to use a .005uF.

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/rangemaster.php

CHAD
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:23:24 PM by seedlings » Logged
aeiou

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:49:19 PM »

great -- i've also read that swapping out the 500k volume pot for 100k can help, as well as changing the output cap (0.1uf) to something smaller -- perhaps a 0.0047uf as well.

right now i've got a 250k trimpot controlling the pregain. I imagine that using a 100k trim here will have more treble and something like 500k will have more bass?

I suppose i should just mess around with these variables until I get something I like..

However.. is there a way to reduce the "Attack" or amount of clipping so I don't have to pot down the input so much?.. looking for more of an overdrive/rangemaster sound with a taste of fuzz..
aeiou

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »

heres a great example of a fuzzface-gone-overdrive tone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UmBIAJA2sg
CynicalMan

Alex L. - Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »

Take out the second transistor's emitter bypass cap. On the Easy Face it's the 22uF cap in parallel with the 1k resistor.

joegagan

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »

one of the coolest ways to make the easyface or other FF types more OD-like is to use the gus smalley Q1 emitter trick. 150 or 200 ohm is cool, but even better is a 500 ohm trimmer to dial in OD goodness.

interrupt the E to GD connection with this resistor/trimmer.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.
joegagan

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »

play around with the 100k feedback resistor as well. 120k will lessen the fuzz.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.
aeiou

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:17:10 AM »

Great! i will take all of these suggestions to heart. i think installing some temporary switches and trimpots is in order until I figure out what works for me..

Joe! seeing as you are the one to ask.. will i encounter anything ill if i omit the "blend" pot? just have no use for it on this build.. do i need to bridge anything in its place, or is it ok to simply leave it out?
joegagan

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:34 AM »

well, if you like the effect it has, take a reading of its resistance and put a fixed R to GD in its place, to keep the same loading and effect that it has on the circuit.
once the easyface pregain is omitted the circ reverts to being more of a regular FF.

seedlings

Chad B. KC, MO

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 08:18:41 AM »

I like to use this for variety:  Pick caps way too small and way too large so you have a good range.

CHAD
joegagan

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »

seed, i like it!  the supersmall and super large make it nice.

Quackzed

Gil Feeney

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »

+1 on the "bass" knob variable input cap blend pot. very usefull!

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: