Sockets: how much is too much?

Started by wesman26, February 28, 2012, 03:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesman26

So I did a light search of the forum and didn't see anything, if this has already been covered or if it's painfully obvious I'll apologize now.

I plan to finalize some pedals soon and I have a bunch of sockets lying around.  I have every intention of socketing my transistors and ICs since I don't feel like ruining those anymore  (I'm apparently fairly good at this), and a few other components (mostly input and output caps as I'm building guitar pedals to be used with my bass and I'd like to test and see what works best).  I was wondering if I could do this with any component to see the effects of changing parts out. 

It seems to me that the only reason it would be a bad idea to socket all the components on my board would be an increased resistance.  The thing is that the resistance of the sockets should be marginal which is why using them for a few components should be fine, but if we're talking a relatively large board with all the components being socketed, could that result in a significant change in the pedal's performance?

tl;dr Is there any reason you could see for not socketing all of my components?

Seljer

Other than for really high frequency stuff there shouldn't be any issues with using sockets, at least in audio circuits

Reliability is an issue though. Espescially if you want to gig with it and then suddenly in the middle of the show your pedal stops working because one pin of an opamp isn't getting proper contact because of a cheap socket (or you get to the show and the entire thing doesn't work because a component fell out). Soldering stuff in is much better in this aspect.

LucifersTrip

if you breadboard first and try different values in various spots, you'll know which ones will be worth socketing....and if one of the worthwhile ones are cool enough, mod it with an external pot or rotary switch.

i'd guess most diy-ers socket the big things for safety (ic's & transistors) and mod things like bias resistors (pots), input/output caps and diodes (switches)

one last note: what's the use in socketing a resistor when trimpots/trimmers exist...
always think outside the box

Morocotopo

Sockets for opamps will not let the opamp loose, unless it was badly seated in the first place. Maybe they won´t stand a space shuttle takeoff but for usual "clumsy musician with one too many beers" use they will be fine.
Other sockets, for example the pin strips that everyone uses to make transistor sockets from, I´m not so sure, though they seem to grip the legs pretty good. But maximum reliability dictates no sockets. Or glue them in place in the socket with some hot glue, relatively easy to remove if need be.
Morocotopo

WGTP

Sometimes I use deliberately use large or small cap values to remove that cap from effecting the circuit.  The output cap is the best example, and I don't change it.  Most of my stuff is distortions, so the input cap, by-pass caps, feedback loop, etc. are used to tweak the tone.

Figure out the best place and caps/resistors to tweak with and then only socket a few for the highs, the lows, the gain, the mids, etc.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

iq01221

I use them for ics and transistors. They are fine, all you have to know is why you're using them. For example: in transistors, I use them in fuzzes, just to try all transistors, combinations, etc... Once I get the chosed one, I just put a liiittle bit of soldier on it, and that's it! it'll be there forever; if you wanna change it, all you have to do is remove that little stain point with desolder mesh or something ;) .

Mark Hammer

If you're going to socket all your semiconductors, it will pay to use better sockets for ICs, since they have that many more ways to not make electrical continuity.

Personally, I like to use this stuff called Stabilant (www.stabilant.com), which is a liquid contact enhancer.  I put a teeny poppy-seed-sized droplet on each socket pin, and it does a nice job of filling in those micron-sized gaps that seem like the Grand Canyon to electrons.  Since the stuff is hard to get, and sometimes pricey when you do, I'll put in a word for using machined-pin sockets instead, since these provide a more reliable contact with IC pins.  You can either use 8/14/16 pin sockets, or you can buy strips of 20 or 40 pins, and break then off in 4's, 7's, or 8's to make your own.

It can sometimes be a good idea, as well, to just give the pins of the ICs, and even the transistors,a gentle scrape with an X-acto blade to get any tarnish off them that might impede contact.  That's good advice even when soldering them to the board.

digi2t

QuoteSockets for opamps will not let the opamp loose, unless it was badly seated in the first place. Maybe they won´t stand a space shuttle takeoff but for usual "clumsy musician with one too many beers" use they will be fine.

After I overheated on opamp on one my earliest project, I've always socketed everything (transistors and opamps) since then. When I'm happy with the components in the box, I then hot glue everything to keep them from possibly moving, or falling out (if the pedal is dropped). I usually use a dab on either end of an opamp to secure it to the socket, and transistors will get dabbed to a nearby component that is soldered on the board. Just a dab will do ya, so you can easily peel the glue off if you need to change anything.

Personally, my ears have never really picked up any substantial difference, other than less hum, between bread boarded circuits and sockets-in-the-box. Then again, stompboxes generally aren't exactly "hi-fi". Come to think of it, neither are my ears anymore  :icon_lol:.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Govmnt_Lacky

I have always used sockets for ICs and transistors. Saying that, I will offer my 2 pennies....

I have always found that IC sockets will stand up to just about any kind of REASONABLE abuse and the IC will not fall out. I have yet to have an IC come loose on a pedal.

Transistor sockets are another story. When using the in-line sockets for TO-92 style transistors, I have found that they hold rather well but, I stilll usually secure with an adhesive.

TO-5 transistor sockets are terribly loose. The type that look like this:

I ALWAYS like to find some way to secure the transistors when using these sockets.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'