Resistors: Metal film or Carbon Comp for D*A*M Meathead

Started by objector, March 03, 2012, 08:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

objector

Hello pedalbuilders of the internet,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums, but never had the guts to start building myself.A while ago I started to develop GAS for a Meathead and a Sonic Titan, but when searching for them I noticed the prices and availability were ridiculous.So I looked up the vero-layouts, calculated the price and immediately noticed that these are very easy and cheap stomboxes, so my decision was quickly made.

Anyway, since I am new to this, I have a question. When I compare the layout of the Sonic Titan and Meathead (with switchable caps) on Ivark's website, I notice that the resistors have another color. The Sonic Titan uses blue ones, where the Meathead uses beige ones.

At the moment I am compiling my shopping basket at Musikding for ordering parts, so I don't know what resistors to choose.

For the Sonic Titan I was planning one using the Metal Film 0,6w 1% Tolerance resistors, but what about the Meathead? Are Carbon Comp resistors better for a Fuzz? What will it do to the sound?

My excuses for the nooby question!

Many many thanks in advance!

boogietone

For pedals, and most anything else, the choice won't make a difference. Any differences between any two resistors in a circuit will have more to do with their different actual values due to tolerances.
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

DavenPaget

Carbon comp has horrible temp. Coefficient
So go with carbon film for everything , no need for metal film .
Hiatus

objector

Thanks for the quick replies! I just had some spare time and did some research. I probably won't go for the Carbon Comps because they induce more noise, but what I do find interesting is that they have a 5% tolerance instead of the 1% you find on metal film resistors. So if I understand correctly: the mojo and  "unique" sound difference the Carbon Comps provide, can be explained by the values which fluctuate more than with metal films? So if I built the pedal twice with Metal film resistors, both pedals will sound more or less the same, where as with two pedals with Carbon Comps, there can be a more audible difference?

@DavenPaget: Why should I go for Carbon film resistors? I will be ordering on Musikding and they don't provide Carbon Films (http://www.musikding.de/index.php/cat/c69_Resistors.html)

I guess I'll just these two pedals with Metal Film resistors and when I get the hang of building and want to explore everything more, I'll buy a breadboard and start experimenting!

DavenPaget

If they only offer metal films then it's okay . Carbon films are 5% also but i have a "Electronics Toolkit" book by Geoff Phillips , good read , it explains in-depth the differences between carbon comp and carbon film and why carbon comp clearly sucks .
Carbon comp is harder to make accurate , therefore alot more expensive then carbon films .
Hiatus

objector

Thanks for the info! I may order that book when I want some more understanding of everything ;)

DavenPaget

Hiatus