Tone stack help for seventheaven

Started by fretzburner, March 03, 2012, 11:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

> all sanded and pretty you realize that it wasn't mirrored?!?!?

Solder your parts on the copper-side.

It isn't so easy, nor strong, but the electrons won't care.
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Two and three legged components and wires could be soldered as normal, correct?  You could print a mirror image of the layout to help with parts placement and polarity.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

J0K3RX

Ok, thanks Rob for coming clean on that! I don't feel quite as bad now :icon_lol:

PRR - I thought about using it, some parts on the trace side and some on the "right" side.. Soldering is really not a problem for me.. I have been soldering for years and worked for a large board manufacturer doing trouble shooting, engineering change orders which included rework of fine pitch SMD/SMT... My soldering is my strongest skill but my electronics theory and math are not! I "shotgun trouble shoot" which means I swap parts until I fix the problem... I know where to start and that's about the extent of it. Funny thing is that I was a top producer where as some very smart schooled engineers and electronics techs fixed about half as many boards as me. I know why and that's because they were always trying to figure things out on a level that was based on what they learned in school where as I was looking at the boards thinking well, I think it's something in this area so I am just gonna reflow everything and if that doesn't work I will swap parts... They were so much smarter than me but in a production environment that was a handicap. Plus after 1000 boards or so you start to see trends with what fails and then you are really on your top game! Anyway, what does all that have to do with etching a board backwards? Nothing, just me blowing off about crap :icon_lol:  I may use the board later but for now I have made another one the "right way" I just wanted as little trouble as possible because I haven't built a Diefet before and my trouble shooting skills being seriously lacking no need for the added confusion...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Pyr0

;D  no you're not the only one to do that.
I even went ahead and populated it, having to reverse transistor orientations and cap polarities, etc.
It was a real PITA to debug and get working  :icon_redface:

runmikeyrun

how about when you drill an enclosure from the underneath, only to flip it over and realize it's backwards... FFFUUUUUU!!! :icon_evil:
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Jdansti

Done that one!

Another one for me is labeling the rows and columns on a vero board and then cutting the traces only to realize that I've got the copper side facing up as if it were the component side.  With the traces cut in the wrong places, the board is useless unless I can use the uncut portion for a smaller project.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

PRR

> drill an enclosure from the underneath, only to flip it over and realize it's backwards... FFFUUUUUU!!!

It was that kind of day. I had a sick air compressor, broken valve. I got new valves, put them in, flupped the switch.... it DE-compressed air! Valves were backward, air puffing out the inlet filter.

True, it wasn't a disaster like a spoiled box. I only had to take the head apart twice more before I got it right.
  • SUPPORTER