EP Booster Clone in a VP Jr.

Started by spfautz, March 03, 2012, 11:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spfautz

I'm thinking about using the big empty cavity in my EB VP Jr. to hold my EP booster clone.  My idea would be to drill a couple of holes in the side for the power, pot, in and out.  Since I'm thinking about using it in a more always on pre amp type of way, I was thinking of a 3pdt toggle instead of a footswitch (its also coming out of the side which would be weird for footswitching).  Does this seem like a good idea?  Am I not considering something I should be?

Thanks,

Stefan

mremic01

I don't see why that wouldn't work. If you've never worked inside of a tube amp before, just remember to read up on how to discharge the filter caps. Those can hold a charge and kill you even when the amp isn't plugged in.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

spfautz

Tube amp?  I'm talking about my Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr.  Thanks for the concern.  For the most part I can't die from the volume pedal right?

blackcorvo

Quote from: spfautz on March 03, 2012, 11:53:53 PM
Tube amp?  I'm talking about my Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr.  Thanks for the concern.  For the most part I can't die from the volume pedal right?

He probably thought you were talking about an Epiphone Valve Jr.

And nope, never heard of any deaths by volume pedals. Unless somebody dropped it from a really tall building and it hit you in the head, I can't see any life threatening dangers in using a volume pedal case.
She/They as of August 2021

Ben N

Those EB pedals are heavy. I'd bet they are life threatening even if dropped from a second story window.
  • SUPPORTER

mremic01

Yeah, I read EP as Epiphone and wasn't really sure what the P in VP would be. Sorry.

In that case, I really don't see why there would be any issues. Go for it.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

spfautz

I'm also now considering adding a small voltage doubler like this http://diy-layout.com/20 before the circuit with toggle switch.  9v --> 3pdt toggle --> Voltage doubler---> EP Booster.

Is there a reason why this wouldn't work? 

Has anyone used the EP Booster and feels like this is a useful addition?

Stefan

spfautz

Here is what I ended up with.  What do you think.?

joegagan

LooKs great! How does it sound, how is the taper and what do the controls do?
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

spfautz

It sounds great. The toggle is the on/off and the knob is the level.  The pedal itself isn't connected to the boost other than they are sharing the enclosure.  I thought about hard wiring the in's and out's of the volume pedal to the 3pdt, but I wanted to have the ability to put the boost at different places in the chain.

Thanks