News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

NTE128 uses?

Started by ZEEK, March 04, 2012, 02:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZEEK

So when i was in the bay area i stopped by fry's and the very very informative man in a suit told me that the ac128 i was looking to purchase was not available because they carry NTE parts, He then went on to explain that all you do is swap AC for NTE and find the 128 so i did and bought acouple. I got home and did a quick look up on them and they are nothing like the AC128 i ended up going back not being able to return them but finding out i wanted the NTE 158 so i grabbed some of those and now im wondering what to do with my wasted 20 bucks.

Thanks

LucifersTrip

For both the 128 and 158, the most important thing is the gains (and the leakage of the 158).   

the sad thing is that 128's are npn and the 158's are pnp so you won't be able to mess around with a silicon/germanium hybrid.

you'll most likely be able to use the 128's for loads of boxes, unless the gains turn out to be really low (<75)...then you'll be limited.

always think outside the box

ZEEK

Im alittle confused on the hybrid part your talking about (cant mix the 158 and 128?) if you can elaborate a bit more for me that would be help full. My main focus is making a boost and a FF to put in a BB houseing. So if the 128 has a high gain i can probable use it for my FF is what your saying but since its a npn it wont mix??

thanks i know i must be a pain in the ass but i have not done much with circuits since highschool and still it wasnt much (i find it very interesting and quite fun though) so i have a big learning curve.

PRR

> "all you do is swap AC for NTE..."

Baloney.
  • SUPPORTER

iccaros

senko

Quote from: LucifersTrip on March 04, 2012, 02:56:23 AM
the sad thing is that 128's are npn and the 158's are pnp so you won't be able to mess around with a silicon/germanium hybrid.
AC128s are PNP.  Just wanted to clarify that.

Try it out in the FF circuit.
Check out my webpage http://www.diyaudiocircuits.com and send me suggestions about what you want to see!  I do all sorts of things with audio equipment, from guitar pedals to circuitbending to analog synthesizers.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: ZEEK on March 04, 2012, 04:51:02 AM
Im alittle confused on the hybrid part your talking about (cant mix the 158 and 128?) if you can elaborate a bit more for me that would be help full.

a hybrid in a Fuzz Face would be 1 silicon transistor and 1 germanium (in any order). what I wrote above is that sadly you can't try this because you cannot mix NPN and PNP in the same Fuzz Face.

is My main focus is making a boost and a FF to put in a BB houseing. So if the 128 has a high gain i can probable use it for my FF is what your saying but since its a npn it wont mix??

no, you can mix gains, but you can't mix npn and pnp

thanks i know i must be a pain in the ass but i have not done much with circuits since highschool and still it wasnt much (i find it very interesting and quite fun though) so i have a big learning curve.

no problem at all...ask away & good luck

LucifersTrip

Quote from: senko on March 04, 2012, 11:51:10 PM
Quote from: LucifersTrip on March 04, 2012, 02:56:23 AM
AC128s are PNP.  Just wanted to clarify that.

right...I guess it could've been clearer, but I was referring to what the OP just purchased: NTE128 (silicon NPN) and NTE158 (germanium PNP)

ZEEK

Cool Thanks alot, I just found a box i ordered from mousers awhile ago to try and make some small amps that i never really got around to so i got most of the parts needed now for the boost and ff. Got no job so i will be pawning an old peavy amp that was given to me and hopefully getting enough money for the remaining resistors and strip board so i can start putting it together and taking some photos for more indepth details of what the hell im really doing

ZEEK

So do if the nte128 is npn and the nte158 is pnp does that mean i need to use a 2n3904 wich is npn with the 128 and a 2n3906 wich is pnp for the 158's? I just got some board and was thinking about starting with what i got though i think ill wait to have all the parts before i start.

Thanks for the help

kupervaser

Don't pawn an old Peavey amp!

LucifersTrip

Quote from: ZEEK on March 10, 2012, 04:36:07 AM
So do if the nte128 is npn and the nte158 is pnp does that mean i need to use a 2n3904 wich is npn with the 128 and a 2n3906 wich is pnp for the 158's?

yes, both npn's or both pnp's...or 2 of the same (2 x nte128's or 2 x nte158's or 2 x 2n3904's or 2 x 2n3906's)