TIS97 Transistors

Started by newperson, March 01, 2012, 05:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newperson

Hi,
Does anyone know where I could pick up about 100 of the TIS97 (TIS-97) Transistors?  I am looking for stock reasons + repairing a MiniMoog.

Thanks,

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

newperson

Thanks for the lead.  I sent in a couple of requests. 
Any other suggestions other than the minimoog site?

slacker

I don't think those transistors have any magic, people have built Minimoogs with standard NPN transistors, BC547, 2N5089, whatever you can get cheap locally.

newperson

Do you think that the two you stated would be a drop in replacement?  I am not looking for any magic here just something that will plug and play without any changes.  The other TIS numbers are sub for 3906/04 but the service notes did not sub this one. 

PRR

TIS97 was THE low-cost hi-hFE transistor one year.

In many ways, the TIS series is the grandfather to all our jellybean transistors.

Look-up TIS97's hFE range (250-800!) and pick something like it. 2N5088 is a very obvious choice. The '88 specs a lower breakdown voltage but the MOOG is all 30V which is safe for the '88.
  • SUPPORTER

newperson

How does the 3904/06 compare to the 5088/87 series?  I see a bit higher voltage but much lower hFe (20-100ish?)  Is that correct? 

I normal try the 390* before 508* transistors when attempting swaps.  Should I be generally reaching for the 508*s first?

The Moog datasheet shows the alternate for the tis92 to be 2n3904 and the tis93 to be the 2n3906 but does not state an alternate for the tis97.  Is that because the 97 was still around and cheap and the 92/93 were on the way out? 

PRR

'90 '91 are large devices in different packages/pinouts.

'97 is a smaller device selected for high HFE.

'98 is a smaller device selected for higher voltage.
  • SUPPORTER