Rangemaster with charge pump and Millenium bypass

Started by Paul Fawcett, January 19, 2012, 05:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

Could you explain this a bit more, in particular the point about "radiating hash."

Should say Trace from C6....

• SUPPORTER

Morocotopo

Quote from: Paul Fawcett on February 29, 2012, 05:41:35 PM
I finally had a chance to complete this today, and it works great.  No hum, no buzz, and the millennium bypass circuit works really well with the 2N5460 - there is no perceptible delay in the LED lighting.  Sounds good too.

Congrats Paul. I think the Rangemaster is GREAT on an already overdriven amp.

Already planning the next one? A few suggestions:

- Fuzz Face
- If you like higher gain sounds, Brown Sound In A  Box II A.K.A. BSIAB II
- TonepadĀ“s CE-2 chorus. A classic.
- Electric Mistress with MN 3207 or 3007. Search for the topic here. Great!
Morocotopo

Paul Fawcett

Quote from: Morocotopo on March 02, 2012, 06:19:30 PM

Congrats Paul. I think the Rangemaster is GREAT on an already overdriven amp.

Already planning the next one? A few suggestions:

- Fuzz Face
- If you like higher gain sounds, Brown Sound In A  Box II A.K.A. BSIAB II
- TonepadĀ“s CE-2 chorus. A classic.
- Electric Mistress with MN 3207 or 3007. Search for the topic here. Great!

Hey Morocotopo,

I recognize that handle from over at AX84... did you ever get the OT sorted out on your Deluxe-ish build?

The next thing I'll have finished is actually something a little bit more pedestrian, it's an A/B/Y splitter box based on RG's design, again tweaked by the addition of a charge pump, this time to implement a +/- 9V bipolar supply without the hassle of two batteries.  Actually, I got the first version done, but the unselected amp has more noise than I'd like. There's a thread on it somewhere here. Fortunately RG proposed a fix, which I'll be trying this weekend.

Definitely going to be checking out those recommendations, thanks!  The DIY MN3207 Electric Mistress demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ElDhW0k7wc I found on youtube is pretty cool.

Paul Fawcett

Just to wrap this up, I posted a brief recap of this project on my blog http://wombatamps.blogspot.com/2012/03/rangemaster-recap.html. For anyone interested, this includes PCB art, a drill plan file for a standard "B" sized enclosure, and a couple of pics of the guts.  I'm quite happy with the way it all worked out.