New pedal builder...What does what?...What goes where?

Started by kimanistar, March 07, 2012, 07:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le québécois

This is good way to start

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=47572.0

Don't forget what DIY stand for. You will need to experiment to understand.

Taylor

Quote from: Ice-9 on March 08, 2012, 08:40:17 AM
My question is how the hell can you design something if you dont know what the parts are or how it works ?

One can design a way to process a waveform independent of an analog implementation of that process. I had design effects with pure math in DSP before I understood what a resistor does. It's sort of like, "I have invented a new device that will make preparing mashed potatoes easier," and replying, "how the hell can you invent a kitchen tool if you don't know the young's modulus of ABS?"

frank_p

Quote from: Taylor on March 08, 2012, 04:16:30 PM
"how the hell can you invent a kitchen tool if you don't know the young's modulus of ABS?"

Well you better sell your invention to someone who will know how to produce it then.

Taylor

Or attempt to educate yourself, as the OP is doing. We all start off as noobs at every endeavor we attempt. Not knowing how to do things is not a reason to not do things; it's a reason to learn.  :)

Ice-9

Quote from: Taylor on March 08, 2012, 05:00:19 PM
Or attempt to educate yourself, as the OP is doing. We all start off as noobs at every endeavor we attempt. Not knowing how to do things is not a reason to not do things; it's a reason to learn.  :)

Yes but i was trying to get the Op to start asking the questions that are relevent (ie pick a schematic and ask what each bit does)

If you ask me what a potentiometer does. Well heck mine all go to eleven.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

frank_p

Quote from: Taylor on March 08, 2012, 05:00:19 PM

Like my Spanish harp teacher used to tell me:  Slowly but surely.    :D