Beavis Audio gone

Started by Pyr0, March 10, 2012, 08:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perrow

Just sent $10. Hope the site gets up again soon.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

mattyjaytee

Just found out about this and gave him $5.  Great site!

Paul Marossy

Bummer about Beavis Audio. Hopefully he gets it back online soon.

My website costs me about $85 a year, all out of my own pocket. It has quite a bit of bandwidth used monthly (some months it's been up to 47 gigs), which is why I get charged a little more I guess.

cultrvultr

Just kicked in $5. He still has the only easy-to-find breadboard layouts. So great for learning what is actually going on in circuits. His down-to-earth explanation of components is another great resource for us newbies.

Ben N

Well, Paul, if you didn't block ME, it'd be that much more, I guess.  :icon_cry:
  • SUPPORTER

Bham Dave

Just sent $10. Worth every cent. Dano's the man. I've learned more from his site than all the books combined. Help keep the fountain of knowledge up and running, and buy him a pint as well.

texstrat

Does anyone know anything further about why the site is down or what happened to Dano?

PereatMundus

sad this.

In the meantime, I recommend. Webzip (software) to just download a complete mirror of his site from :
http://web.archive.org/web/20110720221403/http://www.beavisaudio.com/

Other then that. I myself stopped running hosts a while back.
Found it cheaper!! and easy as hell to host from my own house.
[Got 100mbit/s Down 30mbits/s Up Ethernet  for 8US$/Month ]
(municipal owns the backbone and a multitude of free market competitor provides the service)[Sweden]

Anyway My point is: If you got a decent connection.
(even your regular european No bandwidth-cap cable connection 10Down10Up mbit/s)
Pick up an old leftover laptop or whatever: install Freebsd Apache Mysql PHP and Wordpress.
Use your registrars free hostname forwarding etc. and hook up DynDNS to your home computer
( http://dyn.com/dns/ )

And you got free Hosting easily supporting a medium-size host. for the price of some time and leftover hardware.
Guitars: Westone Prestige 150 - Aria Pro II CS-400BnG
Amps: 5150 - SloClone
Fx: 20+ DIY (100+)
Play: Kraut/Death/Industrial/Noise
Pereat Mundus Et Furia Tempo-Leena Krohn/Schopenhauer

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Ben N on March 12, 2012, 05:57:12 PM
Well, Paul, if you didn't block ME, it'd be that much more, I guess.  :icon_cry:

Huh? You live in the U.S. don't you?

~arph

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 12, 2012, 11:39:54 AM

My website costs me about $85 a year, all out of my own pocket. It has quite a bit of bandwidth used monthly (some months it's been up to 47 gigs), which is why I get charged a little more I guess.

I'm sure you got some donations a while back  :P

iccaros

Quote from: PereatMundus on March 13, 2012, 08:35:53 AM
sad this.

In the meantime, I recommend. Webzip (software) to just download a complete mirror of his site from :
http://web.archive.org/web/20110720221403/http://www.beavisaudio.com/

Other then that. I myself stopped running hosts a while back.
Found it cheaper!! and easy as hell to host from my own house.
[Got 100mbit/s Down 30mbits/s Up Ethernet  for 8US$/Month ]
(municipal owns the backbone and a multitude of free market competitor provides the service)[Sweden]

Anyway My point is: If you got a decent connection.
(even your regular european No bandwidth-cap cable connection 10Down10Up mbit/s)
Pick up an old leftover laptop or whatever: install Freebsd Apache Mysql PHP and Wordpress.
Use your registrars free hostname forwarding etc. and hook up DynDNS to your home computer
( http://dyn.com/dns/ )

And you got free Hosting easily supporting a medium-size host. for the price of some time and leftover hardware.

I would not suggest this for most people. While it is cheaper, your already paying for internet already there are several issues.

Do you know how to secure your internet connection? no really, do you understand proxies  and firewalls? Do you understand port redirection? Do you run an IDS?  Do you have two connections one internal and one external. How often to do you up date and patch?
Home run website are prime for criminal storage attacks. These are simple, where someone stores information on your system, this way evidence leads to you. When the police come and take all of your computer, that cheap internet hosting now got expensive.

In the US, you could have really fast internet, but running a website is against the terms of service for most home users. This means they can shut you off

While I agree its simple, an you can run a very insecure site for a long time with no issues, once you have issues it stops being worth it, or you can count in all of the money it would cost to keep a system up correctly, take how much you make an hour and use that to find the hourly rate to upkeep your systems, and that is your true cost of hosting it your self. 
I use Amazons S3 to run my sites.

emilyandmiles

Already missing the site.
Always inspiring and educational.
Seems like a lovely chap.
Hope all is well with Dano.

PereatMundus

Quote from: iccaros on March 13, 2012, 12:17:14 PM
I would not suggest this for most people. While it is cheaper, your already paying for internet

already there are several issues.
I would also not suggest this for most people, definatly not.
And would never have suggested it on  a less technical inclined forum.

My general reason for mentioning it here in this thread on this forum is because:

the site in question is containing technical advanced material that may hint on an above average
technical inclined person able to run a secure server. and is also telling on a person that may
have a couple of extra boxes around.

Other people reading this may themselves be more then capable to do this.

When cash-flow is such a constraint that it actually killed the site outright there may be a real
need to do this or not have a site up at all.

Now reading my post I may have hinted on theese points but not beeing clear enought.
(I did intentionally blurt out the basic FreeBSD based AMP list to keep the most general users  away)
Although one with a basic *nix knowledge and some time its no big deal.

I for instance belive that a person capable to set up a DMZ and a FAMP server should have no
issues lerning the essentials.

Beeing a DIY-site I take for granted people here that may be interested in doing this may
actually enjoy the process.

QuoteWhile I agree its simple, an you can run a very insecure site for a long time with no
issues, once you have issues it stops being worth it, or you can count in all of the money it
would cost to keep a system up correctly, take how much you make an hour and use that to find the
hourly rate to upkeep your systems, and that is your true cost of hosting it your self.  
I use Amazons S3 to run my sites.

Well the deal here is a site actually beeing dead for not beeing actually able to pay for it. and
donations is not a good ground to stand on indefinatly.
Hell if he had the kind of cash for S3 I would most definatly NOT hint on this solution.
And again, a DIY forum.  many here so inclined may actually enjoy the process not actually
counting the nickel and dime when deciding wether to do it or not.
The time involved running a DMZ, snort, and server properly updated and configured is in my mind
not a substatial investement.

QuoteDo you know how to secure your internet connection? no really, do you understand proxies  
and firewalls? Do you understand port redirection? Do you run an IDS?  Do you have two
connections one internal and one external. How often to do you up date and patch?
Loads of questions. well here goes.
Yes, yes, yes. yes I use SNORT on a separate machine. I have Your basic PF OpenBSD
Firewall/Gateway with 3 separate intranets, DMZ for servers. I got no connection between the DMZ
servers and other computers. I run them om extension KVM from a floor away.  I update and patch
weekly unless cron pokes me with something importent during the week.
Personally I'm a bad example. Been running servers for over 15years now. But I had 
my own servers up and running years before I had my first degree/cert.

These days with ports and jails in FreeBSD, freebsd-update and PFSense distro with a snort plugin its just too easy.
aswell as the amount of forgotten old computers around. I'd say go ahed give it a shot. better that then not running your site at all!

QuoteHome run website are prime for criminal storage attacks. These are simple, where someone
stores information on your system, this way evidence leads to you. When the police come and take
all of your computer, that cheap internet hosting now got expensive.
I would generally wager the chance for this is incredibly impossibly small. Given
how easily one can use any of the millions and millions of regular un-patched drone-computers for
this. although a tasty target the "barrier to entry" principle of a well setup BSD server versus the multitude of silly easy targets out there makes this point more then moot.
All in all, this is just too unrealistic to be an issue. better to be scared of beeing hit by a car when walking. Following some simple principles like hardening your servers and doing a decent DMZ setup aswell as updating is enought.

QuoteIn the US, you could have really fast internet, but running a website is against the terms
of service for most home users. This means they can shut you off
yea I mentioned for instance  the need for no bandwidth cap etc.  (stuff like terms of service
against home run servers and bandwidth caps that seems common in the US never really existed over
here.) a real issue or completely non-issue depending on locale.

slacker

If you're sad enough to do a whois lookup, like I was, it tells you the domain expires 09/03/2013, so hopefully that means Dano has reregistered it and it's just a matter of waiting for the DNS servers to do their thing.

iccaros

sorry, I did not mean to directly challenge your skill but offer question for other who may want to host their own site.  I am a security person in my professional life. I do see what I stated on a regular bases so I am bias.
The goal of my post was to make people realize the challenges that make up administering their own server. Just like we warn people over high voltage.
If people decide they want to go forward I am also willing to help them get secure, through advice as necessarily.

iccaros

Quote from: iccaros on March 13, 2012, 05:13:15 PM
sorry, I did not mean to directly challenge your skill but offer question for other who may want to host their own site.  I am a security person in my professional life. I do see what I stated on a regular bases so I am bias.
The goal of my post was to make people realize the challenges that make up administering their own server. Just like we warn people over high voltage.
If people decide they want to go forward I am also willing to help them get secure, through advice as necessarily.

That is more likely Go daddy's registration of the DNS name, normally they take out more than a year,as its cheaper and charge you the user a per year fee.

PereatMundus

Quote from: iccaros on March 13, 2012, 05:13:15 PM

Ok, well that's what I get for English being my 3rd language. going back I do see that you probably meant the questions as being  something general to ask oneself before attempting something like this. As such they are all great.

Seeing your post "replying" to mine and with a causionary start followed by all the questions I did read it as if you where in direct conflict with the idea and posed those questions directly to me (as it was a quoted reply).

All is well then  :icon_mrgreen:

amz-fx

If anyone is in contact with Dano, tell him to email me. I can probably host his site for him for free.

Best regards, Jack

Paul Marossy

Quote from: ~arph on March 13, 2012, 11:49:01 AM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 12, 2012, 11:39:54 AM

I'm sure you got some donations a while back  :P

I haven't got one dollar in at least a year. No big deal, it's not like having the site puts me in financial hardship or anything.  :icon_wink:

Strange

Send a PayPal donation to:

dano at beavisaudio dot com

Most of us have benefitted from Beavis Audio at some point - let's show a little respect and gratitude.