Beavis Audio gone

Started by Pyr0, March 10, 2012, 08:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I'm all for supporting fellow DIYers, but we are all assuming that Dano is in some kind of trouble. Maybe he didn't want the website anymore. Or maybe something happened to him? (let's hope not!)

PereatMundus

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 14, 2012, 10:49:03 AM
I'm all for supporting fellow DIYers, but we are all assuming that Dano is in some kind of trouble. Maybe he didn't want the website anymore. Or maybe something happened to him? (let's hope not!)

I think most are responding to what's already been said by him:

Quote from: Taylor on March 10, 2012, 08:48:43 PM
I'll just quote this here for convenience (from the post Rick linked):

Quote from: Dano @ BeavisMuch like the U.S. Congress, it turns out that yours truly can't balance the budget.

Keeping the hosting, site and email bills paid is somewhat problematic here at beavis world HQ. Back in the day, disposable cash kept the skids greased and the sites (both beavisaudio.com and beavishifi.com) rolling forward. After all these years, I'm going to ask you, the humble and brave reader, to consider donating to beavis--if you are so inclined, your small contribution will keep the site live and up and running while I sort out a mountain of crap.

Have an extra dollar? Hiding $85,000 dollars in your mattress? Just won the lottery? If this is you, please consider a small donation to the beavis ideology. Send your non-tax-deductible bit-o-cash to dano@beavisaudio.com via PAYPAL (sorry, I'm not set up to do anything else right now...) All funds will be used to pay the hosting/server bills.

He does seem to be short on cash. But yea that is from an old post. might be different now.
Guitars: Westone Prestige 150 - Aria Pro II CS-400BnG
Amps: 5150 - SloClone
Fx: 20+ DIY (100+)
Play: Kraut/Death/Industrial/Noise
Pereat Mundus Et Furia Tempo-Leena Krohn/Schopenhauer

Ben N

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 13, 2012, 10:22:10 AM
Quote from: Ben N on March 12, 2012, 05:57:12 PM
Well, Paul, if you didn't block ME, it'd be that much more, I guess.  :icon_cry:

Huh? You live in the U.S. don't you?
Used to. Israel now. (I have to change that tag, I know.)
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

PereatMundus: Oh crap! I missed that post somewhere along the line.  :icon_redface:

Ben N: What's your IP address? I'll see about unblocking it for you.

Ben N

Thanks, Paul, but I think I am stuck with a dynamic IP.
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Ben N on March 15, 2012, 10:20:42 AM
Thanks, Paul, but I think I am stuck with a dynamic IP.

Sorry, not sure what the fix would be for that.  :icon_confused:

Your IP address is not being directly blocked in any case.

PRR

I've been on the internet since before ARPA-net, and was running public webservers soon after Mosaic and Al Gore made it popular. At one time I was managing 30 webservers.

I don't think a home-based server is a good idea "for most people".

You can easily rent managed servers for $5-$10/month. Yes I have run a webserver on a free 386SX-16. But for the first few jobs, setup and monitoring can consume a LOT of time. I was on fixed salary so this was fine. If I counted my time as real money it was hundreds of dollars a month.

US Residential network connections are mostly "no server". Much of the infrastructure is built-out for downloads not uploads, reflecting typical web-surfer use (1KB request gets 1MB web page). Upload speed here is pathetic. I can get better, if I pay more for a Business connection. While some ISPs will cut-off a residential server, others quietly "upgrade" your contract to a higher-price Business contract and surprise you at the end of the month. The difference in price is far higher than renting a server.

DNS and fixed-IP go together. US residential connections are all dynamic-IP. The IP number changes at any time. Yes, Dynamic DNS is sometimes acceptable, but more work to figure out.

Servers get hacked. Yes, millions of "un-patched {home} drone-computers" are now an easier target, but any alert server operator sees many-many hack attempts. Some forum and blogging packages invite SQL injection and other sneaky tricks. Once in a while hackers get in. (And not only small under-patched servers: there have been some MAJOR break-ins at corporations and governments who ought to know better.)

Backup is an issue. Drives fail. Yes, now days we can archive a whole website to another home computer "free". But that means a path from the public webserver to your private machine. If not carefully routered, that makes your 'private' machine very public. Most of the $10/month rental servers include some form of backups. (You still need to keep your own copy: rack-space backup may be in the same rack so a fire/flood will lose everything.)

To be fair, these are similar to the reasons you "should not" DIY guitar pedals since they now sell for $49 down to $29. If you find fun in reading httpd documentation and reading logfiles, you can have a lot of un-paid fun running a webserver. Some days I miss it. Other days I am glad the burden is not on my shoulders now.
  • SUPPORTER

Ben N

Whoa, Paul Marrossy, I just got on your site for the first time in a dog's age! This may only last until my next reboot, but thanks! It's a great site.
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Ben N on March 15, 2012, 04:33:46 PM
Whoa, Paul Marrossy, I just got on your site for the first time in a dog's age! This may only last until my next reboot, but thanks! It's a great site.

YAY! Glad you could see it finally, even if it's just this once.  :icon_wink:

pinkjimiphoton

tried pm'ing dano on facebook, will let ya know if i hear anything
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Ben N

Yeah, considering that a number of members here (and elsewhere) have contributed, probably enough to cover the cost of keeping the page open, it would be nice to hear a word from Dano hisself about this.
  • SUPPORTER

joegagan

Quote from: PRR on March 15, 2012, 03:32:45 PM
I've been on the internet since before ARPA-net, and was running public webservers soon after Mosaic and Al Gore made it popular. At one time I was managing 30 webservers.

I don't think a home-based server is a good idea "for most people".

You can easily rent managed servers for $5-$10/month. Yes I have run a webserver on a free 386SX-16. But for the first few jobs, setup and monitoring can consume a LOT of time. I was on fixed salary so this was fine. If I counted my time as real money it was hundreds of dollars a month.

US Residential network connections are mostly "no server". Much of the infrastructure is built-out for downloads not uploads, reflecting typical web-surfer use (1KB request gets 1MB web page). Upload speed here is pathetic. I can get better, if I pay more for a Business connection. While some ISPs will cut-off a residential server, others quietly "upgrade" your contract to a higher-price Business contract and surprise you at the end of the month. The difference in price is far higher than renting a server.

DNS and fixed-IP go together. US residential connections are all dynamic-IP. The IP number changes at any time. Yes, Dynamic DNS is sometimes acceptable, but more work to figure out.

Servers get hacked. Yes, millions of "un-patched {home} drone-computers" are now an easier target, but any alert server operator sees many-many hack attempts. Some forum and blogging packages invite SQL injection and other sneaky tricks. Once in a while hackers get in. (And not only small under-patched servers: there have been some MAJOR break-ins at corporations and governments who ought to know better.)

Backup is an issue. Drives fail. Yes, now days we can archive a whole website to another home computer "free". But that means a path from the public webserver to your private machine. If not carefully routered, that makes your 'private' machine very public. Most of the $10/month rental servers include some form of backups. (You still need to keep your own copy: rack-space backup may be in the same rack so a fire/flood will lose everything.)

To be fair, these are similar to the reasons you "should not" DIY guitar pedals since they now sell for $49 down to $29. If you find fun in reading httpd documentation and reading logfiles, you can have a lot of un-paid fun running a webserver. Some days I miss it. Other days I am glad the burden is not on my shoulders now.

paul, i love reading these history posts. please, share anytime, we are reading and soaking it up.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

petey twofinger

i am curious if it is coming back , how long it will be up on the wayback machine .

i suppose it would be bad karma or illegial if someone were to rip the entire site off the way back machine , compress it and then upload it to yousend it and post the link .

im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Perrow

Yeah, I'm beginning to suspect we've seen the end of beavisaudio :(
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

FastJunkie

erikb1971

Has anybody been able to download his whole site as suggested in this thread? I have about 6 projects scheduled that are based on stuff on his site. I have tried a few times to run webzip 7.1, but somewhere halfway it stops...
Maybe a suggestion for another program? Of course, what would be even better is that he continues, if he does I will definitely support him financially...

Paul Marossy

This laying low and being off the radar screen business makes me feel a little suspicious...

dano12

Hi all, sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, life has interfered with beavis over the last few years. As you've probably noticed, there haven't been any updates or new projects for quite a while.

What can I say? Difficult times, a big change in my personal life, health issues, the whole shebang.

I'm going to try to find time next week to get the domain renewed and get the site back up and running.

Thanks to all for the concern, however PLEASE NO DONATIONS. I'll work over the next few days to issue refunds to all those kind souls who have been so generous, but I really need to fix all this on my own, part of the healing process you know :) Please do not take offense, your kindness has been really incredible, and speaks volumes about the family-like nature of the DIY community.

Onward and upward, and hope to have the site back online.

Best,
-dano/beavis

knealebrown

''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

Greenmachine

I also love Beavis; that site is right up there with GeoFEX and others IMO.

Hang in there Dano.