Supasustain Cloning

Started by edenexter, March 10, 2012, 04:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edenexter

I've been trying to clone my original Colorsound Supasustain for a while now, but sadly the copy just isn't quite the same as the original. As apposed to what is said in a lot of other threads about this pedal, I've found the LDR to be quite influential to the sound of this pedal! Some newer LDR's seems to have a bit more range in them causing the amplifying part of the circuit to distort. The clones just sound a bit crunchier than the original SS.

I understand the LDR doesn't cause the distortion, but to my knowledge it seems to directly influence it. I've tried lowering the gain by reducing the value of the 220k in the collector of the first stage and keeping the collector of Q2 at Vcc/2 by increasing the 1.8k resistor, but this doesn't seem to have much effect.

Now instead of ordering every type of LDR being made to find the one closest to the originals that Colorsound used, I thought that perhaps someone could help me with adjusting other parts of the circuit to get the sound closer to the original.

Schematic can be found at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/cssussc.gif.

PRR

Change just the 4.7K.

But everything interacts, so it may not be simple.
  • SUPPORTER