2 pole vs 3 pole toggle switches

Started by StevenJM, March 14, 2012, 11:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenJM

Im building a replica of the fOXX Tone Machine, from the kit offered by General Guitar Gadget...

http://generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ftm_lo.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

The parts layout calls for a 2 pole toggle switch to turn the octave on/off.  However, when I got my kit, he forgot the switch.  So I emailed him over the weekend and he sent it out Monday, and came today.   Except the switch I got today has 3 poles instead of 2.

How would I wire this switch if I still can use it.  The switch is also labeled on/on, so would this even work?  Or would I need an on/off switch?

Thanks guys...

-Steve.

greeny23

its fine, just use the middle lug and one of the outer ones. you can either the 3rd off or just leave it empty.

StevenJM

Cool, this is what i was going to try but figured it was worth checking online first.

I should have this done tomorrow night then, I can't wait.

LucifersTrip

Quote from: StevenJM on March 14, 2012, 11:10:02 PM
Except the switch I got today has 3 poles instead of 2.

...I believe you're getting lugs and poles mixed up.  The 2 "pole" (2 lugs) is a SPST (single pole, single throw)
the 3 "pole" (3 lugs) is SPDT (single pole, double throw)

you can think of poles as the number of connections you can switch and you can think of throws as how many positions it can be in

for the 2 lug SPST, you can switch one connection and there is only 1 position (the other is off)
for the 3 lug SPDT, you can switch one connection and there are 2  positions (on in either direction)

A 3 pole single throw switch would have 6 lugs and a 3 pole double throw switch would have 9 (your main stomp switch)

good luck

always think outside the box

StevenJM

Quote from: LucifersTrip on March 15, 2012, 01:19:37 AM
Quote from: StevenJM on March 14, 2012, 11:10:02 PM
Except the switch I got today has 3 poles instead of 2.

...I believe you're getting lugs and poles mixed up.  The 2 "pole" (2 lugs) is a SPST (single pole, single throw)
the 3 "pole" (3 lugs) is SPDT (single pole, double throw)

you can think of poles as the number of connections you can switch and you can think of throws as how many positions it can be in

for the 2 lug SPST, you can switch one connection and there is only 1 position (the other is off)
for the 3 lug SPDT, you can switch one connection and there are 2  positions (on in either direction)

A 3 pole single throw switch would have 6 lugs and a 3 pole double throw switch would have 9 (your main stomp switch)

good luck

Yea, i'm dealing with the 3 lug SPDT switch, where its on in either position.

Is this going to work for what i need?  I'm hoping that because the 3rd lug isn't connected to anything, it wont have anything else to turn on, and will act as an on/off.  I HOPE!  :)

LucifersTrip

Quote from: StevenJM on March 15, 2012, 11:06:13 AM
Is this going to work for what i need?  I'm hoping that because the 3rd lug isn't connected to anything, it wont have anything else to turn on, and will act as an on/off.  I HOPE!  :)

yep...you just use the middle and either side.

good luck
always think outside the box