1. sand with 400 grit automotive sand paper under running water. Can go smaller sequentially. Smoother you want it, the sweat you need to put in!
2. Clean with soap and water. Dry thoroughly.
3. coat with primer. I use just generic all purpose primer. Dont need may coats, just cover it.
4. dry in toaster oven for 15---30 mins at 200-250 deg. Let cool.
5. spray with enamel of choice. enamel is your basic off the shelf spray paint. I use everything from $1/can black to hammered to metallic paints. there is a learning curve to spray painting.
6. back in the toaster oven. Key to dry it well with each coat.
7. apply waterslide decal, labels, paint etc. Back in the oven... remember, DRY EACH COAt!
8. finish with clear or gloss, your choice, enamel, also in a spray. I can get all my stuff at Home depot.
What ive learned - critical to dry it well after each coat in the toaster oven!
This can give you a nice looking pedal. But it will chip. Not nearly as durable as powder coating.