News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Introduction

Started by Jordan A., April 08, 2012, 01:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan A.

Hello all, i have been following this site for a while, but have just now registered.  I have gotten a lot from reading through the threads here, and I'm happy to be joining you!

I have built piles and piles of music gear over the years, mostly tube amplifiers, effects pedals and modular synthesizers, including several ideas glommed from this forum.

Cheers,

jordan

slacker

The Tone God

Welcome to the forum!

Andrew

digi2t

Welcome Jordan!!  :icon_cool:

Cheers,
Dino
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

joegagan

welcome! and just for fun, can you give us a list of what you have built? i am sure that a lot of us here would have Qs about your results/findings etc etc.

i have built a lot of fuzzface derivatives, came up with a few recipes of my own based on the classics, boosters, etc.
around 04 i got into wahs, lately have been dissecting maestro boomerangs and offshoots.

i played around with the big muff a few years ago with my hometown collaborator, zac zagar, we also tried out the harmonic percolator, OCD type ODs/ modded rats/ DOD 440s,maestro Fz1 etc and have been doing a lot of repairs.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Jordan A.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Joe, lots of stuff, I started out with tube amps, single ended little guys to 50 watters.  I have built a bunch of the projects from AX84, I quite like the "october" style amps and I've been messing with variations on that preamp recently, with a 2x 6SL7 & 1x 6SN7 preamp into a 2x 6L6 fixed bias power amp that I'm pretty happy with, using an old RCA carcass a friend gave me.

For effects I like a modular synth type approach, bipolar power supplies,  +/- 5 volt control voltage levels with standard 100k input/1k output structures so that everything works with everything else. 

I have mostly messed with modulation type effects, lots of different types of phasers and filters.  I like the mutron biphase/phasor II structure pretty well, for filters I've done variations on the moog ladder, korg ms-20, korg ps-3000 series resonators, lots of lm13700 stuff (state variable, cascaded 4 stage low pass, cascaded 6 stage low pass/all pass/high pass with variable slope) some discrete transistor filters, some LDR filters.  I'm just starting to mess with the SSM2164 which seems pretty promising for filter use, there is a good bit of info out there already on how to use them which helps a guy like me with limited design chops.  I've taken most of it from the wonderful "electronotes" series, and the schematics of Jurgen Haible, Rene Schmitz and Ian Fritz, and basically anything else not bolted down!

For amplitude modulation I've used the lm13700 a lot but I think I'll be using the SSM2164 for that in the future.  For ring modulators (kind of in the AM category?) I've used the transformer/diode ring approach which I like a lot, I also have a few nice analog devices multiplier chips to try out when I get some time.

I have not done too much with distortion/overdrive/fuzz.  I have made some simple FET distortions and I like what I get out of them, but I usually rely on tubes for distortion.  This forum seems like a great place to learn what you all have done with distortion circuits.

I have just recently been playing with the PT2399 delays, leaning heavily on the echobase design, but with bipolar power for the opamps, just because I'm used to it that way.

Ok, gonna go brew a fresh pot o' coffee!

jordan