Switching to Perfboard

Started by Major Sparky, March 25, 2012, 05:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major Sparky

Hey, I'm new to pedal building and have a few questions to ask.  I just built the BYOC Classic compressor kit and I really enjoyed it.  However, after only putting together one PCB I have already grown to dislike them.  For my next build I want to use perfboard.  I was wondering what I have to do differently when using perfboard.  Can anyone help me out on this?  I'll be building a Tonebender MKII if it matters.

Also, what parts supplier do you guys recommend buying from.  I was looking at PedalPartsPlus because they have everything that I needed.  Mouser also looks good but they don't seem to have drilled enclosures and I'm having trouble finding certain Pots and transistors.

Thank you for the help!

alparent

Quote from: Major Sparky on March 25, 2012, 05:56:19 PM
However, after only putting together one PCB I have already grown to dislike them.

After only one! What kind of horrible experience did you have?

Tayda as perf. board and lot's of other parts to .... great prices also.

Major Sparky

Well it's not that they're horrible.  They are a great little tool for conserving space and what not.  But when I was working I felt like the board was really cramped, I'd prefer to have a bit more space.  Also screwing up a piece of perfboard is not as bad as messing up a PCB.  Also I don't want to have to keep buying PCB's or make my own.  So perfboard sounds like a great alternative.

alparent

Perfboard is a great alternative to buying PCB's ........ Making your own PCB's is even better........but that's for latter..... :icon_biggrin:

Have fun building and welcome to the madness!  :icon_twisted:

lopsided

A great introduction to perfboarding is the beginners project on this site. Check it out, especially this page: http://www.diystompboxes.com/beginner/build/npnboostbuild.htm
This is where I have learned how perf is done.