Buffer Troubleshooting Help

Started by spfautz, March 27, 2012, 10:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spfautz

I have a buffered splitter in my Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr. to fix the tone suck that comes with the stock version of this pedal.  Currently I'm getting a very weak signal coming from the pedal.  After using an audio probe to troubleshoot a little I'm finding that the major change is happening in the transistor.

The transistor is a 2N5457.  Currently the +9v is connected to the G pin, and my input is connected to my D pin.  The S pin which goes out to the rest of the circuit is giving me a drastically lower volume than the D.

I was expecting the opposite.  An increase in signal coming out of the transistor.  Is this wrong, or does this sound like a damaged transistor?

Thanks,

Stefan

brett

Hi
Input at a JFET is almost always through the Gate (and tied to ground via a large value resistor ~1Mohm).
Drain to 9V and Source to ground (via a small resistor ~2.4kohms).
That's it   :icon_wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

spfautz

It is entirely possible that I was mistaken about the Gate and the drain. I know the transistor is installed correctly with correct resistors connected because it was done by a pro (which is why I don't have a schematic), and it used to work. 

At one point to solve another problem I installed a 1n4005 diode to the power supply to help direct the flow.  I mistakenly connected the diode to the (-) of the power supply.  If I was limiting the amount of signal to be grounded, could this have damaged my transistor giving me a diminished signal coming out of the source?  Could this have damaged another component?

Stefan

StereoKills

I doubt hooking up that diode would damage the JFET (I assume you were putting it in for reverse polarity protection?). If you connected ground to ground - no potential - nada happens. If you had it ground to V+, but reverse orientation - power supply short, but components are unaffected.
"Sometimes it takes a thousand notes to make one sound"

spfautz

So any idea why the transistor is killing my signal?

Could this be the trans working properly?

StereoKills

Without some sort of schematic it's going to be a toughie. Any chance you could trace it out? It should be a pretty small circuit...

spfautz

This is my first time ever drawing a schematic.  I'm sure it isn't done properly, but hopefully this will help resolve the problem.

StereoKills

Looks almost exactly like the Improved Wah Buffer from AMZ.
What are the voltages on the transistor legs? It may be that the transistor is bad.

AMZ Improved Wah Buffer

spfautz

Voltages:

D: 8.70
S: 8.43
G: 8.64   

StereoKills

Mmmm... That's not right.

I would expect your source and gate to be much lower. Try swapping that transistor out for a fresh one.

spfautz

I don't have a place where I can get that resistor without ordering it.  Will a MPF102 from the shack work?

StereoKills

spfautz

After replacing the transistor there has been no change.

Here are more details. 

When no power is applied the pedal appears to be working as a normal volume pedal.  When I apply power the signal is greatly reduced (maybe 70%).  When using an audio probe I'm finding that my input signal is first reduced at the .1uf capacitor (-50%).  It is further reduced at the transistor (-20%).

Could this be a power problem? Like power isn't getting to all of the components, or not properly grounded?

stefan