Stereo Input AND Output switcher question

Started by rubisco, March 28, 2012, 01:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubisco

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read my question!

I am running a stereo effect chain into two separate amps.  Sometimes I would like to incorporate a looper (the phrase sampler kind - not the true bypass kind) into my signal chain after the end of the FX sequence - right before the signal gets to the amps.  Instead of plugging and unplugging cables each time I want to do this, I would like to wire up a little switching box at the end of the FX pedals.  It would have stereo inputs (from the FX), stereo outputs (to the amps), and the option of switching in a side loop that would send stereo OUT to the looper, and return stereo IN back to the box (and then on to the amps).

I've searched quite a bit for something like this on the forum (and elsewhere), but I haven't found what I'm looking for.  Most stuff has mono in (from guitar) which then splits to 2 signals.  I have a 4PDT toggle switch and was thinking I could wire it up like this:

Out to Looper (R)         FX chain in (R)            Out to Amp (R)
Out to Looper (L)         FX chain in (L)             Out to Amp (L)
In from Looper (R)       jumper to R amp out       empty
In from Looper (L)       jumper to L amp out        empty

I don't need an LED (I can just see which way the toggle switch is set) - can I get away with not grounding anything to the switch?  All input and output jacks would be grounded to the metal enclosure.  Will this work as I've laid it out?

Thanks for any advice or tips!

rubisco

Hi again,

I'm planning to go ahead and build my switch box this weekend according to the plan I described in my first post.

The other way I have considered building the box is to use "normalled" stereo jacks like the kind found in patch bays.  The looper would be connected to the box via an input and an output stereo jack.  If nothing was plugged into the jacks, they would just pass the signal through the box and out the stereo outputs to the amps.  To use the looper, I would have to plug in two TRS style stereo jacks.  This would be slightly less convenient, but would be preferable if my 4PDT switch version would have problems due to the lack of grounding of the switch (or due to some other problem I'm not seeing).

Does anyone have any reason to think that one or the other of these two methods would be better?

I'm sorry I don't have a convenient way to post pictures, but if someone would like a diagram (instead of my text "schematic" below), I could email one.

Thanks again for any input.  I will post back with the results after building the switcher.

rubisco

Hi Again,

Just as a follow up to anyone who might happen upon this post in the future: I built the box as per the plan in my first post (with the 4PDT toggle switch), and it works perfectly.  No noise, or any other issues that I can detect.  Now when I want to use my loop pedal, I just have to turn on the looper, and flip the switch.  No more plugging and unplugging cables.  With a 4PDT stomp switch (which I have seen available in a couple of places), this same idea should work as a bypass loop on a pedal board if you wanted to switch a stereo effect into and out of a signal chain that is already in stereo.

Cheers!

mself61

I would be interested to see some pictures and schematics. I'm doing the same thing, amazing these devices aren't sold in stores, but then I guess a lot of the MIDI world would not get as much business in their switching systems.