Show off your "Pro" and "Exceptional" builds!!!

Started by Earthscum, March 28, 2012, 11:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterg

Quote from: duck_arse on March 13, 2014, 11:01:58 AM

willi - cornflakes packets. make an open bottom cardboard box the size of yr real box. you can cut out a square in the front, and then try different arrangements of your controls on squares of card.

+1

Darron - Great video. Man, you work fast ;D.

darron

Quote from: Will.mendil on March 13, 2014, 06:17:38 AM
I am honoured darron. To be honest I thought it was a boutique manufacturer 

Might be a hobby but you got "industrial" small scale machinery. Which is way out of my reach for now. :(

For instance, how much does the printer cost ( the one you printer the circuit template on the pcbs)?

Second I guess you have space because it won't be in a 35m2 flat in Paris living with a girl, who obviously hates me doing the pedals as I mess up the place like hell, that I am going to fit one of these.

On the other hand. I ve only started just recently and I've already done two proper none kit pedals so far. So I have a long way to go

( I know they are not pro stompbox but it is just in order to illustrate, apologies for any disappointments )

Actually I did have a question. I guess I should do a new thread about it but sill.
How do you test the layout of a pedal. The way I have done it was placing the switches jacks and pots in order for them to fit and then solder the circuit which ends up hanging for its wires which is not very good looking. Your layout on the other hand looks very neat and you know exactly what length of wire to prepare ( I do like the use of the razor blade. I mean you got big equipment, and you still stick with this easy cheap method, pretty ironic) anyway how do you prepare/predict the layout for everything to fit exactly. I have seen people using wood with holes in them to welcome the different pots and switches upside down. But unless you only stick to one or two layout I am not sure I want to buy a piece of wood for every test to end up seeing the holes were too close by 1cm and start again.

Sorry for the long post. You could put the blame on curiosity.

Cheers

i sort of am a boutique manufacturer. but it's a hobby business. and i have a day job. right now i'm up to pedal number 300-and something.

that laser in australia cost me $20,000 new but in the states would probably be half that.

i've built pedals in a tiny, tiny room in a factory, and in a bedroom in a flat. luckily i've got a lot more space where i am now, but my girlfriend still hates my office space for some reason. maybe all the wire clippings on the floor. she thinks it belongs outside :S

the stomp box is really good for the first round! looks like you're keen to get everything up to scratch right away from the beginning. i won't show you my first few lol.

AH, my layout secrets. nothing too clever, i intentionally left it out of the video! i make up cheat sheets with the pcb layout (not to scale) and then the wire hookups at 1:1 so that i can lay the wire over and snip. i rough down the lengths as i start a new build and measure them and draw it up, then as i go i note any minor corrections of a MM or two here  and there so it becomes pretty exact pretty quick. the other trick is that i use the same acrylic drilling jig for all of my pedals so they usually have the exact same lengths and layout to hook up the battery, switch, jacks etc. so it's only the pcb that changes

sorry to derail the thread a bit...

and razor blades rocks! i had a sort of classical amp training. i don't always trust wire strippers. i use teflon wire and it's a little more difficult to know if you damage the structural integrity of the copper when you strip it. the insulation is very tough so it's good to do it by feel. my left hand is impervious to soldering iron heat and razor cuts :D

There's a couple of photos here for some of the stages of building but doesn't give too much away and is outdated: http://www.dazatronyx.com/tech/tour/

Quote from: peterg on March 13, 2014, 12:42:03 PM

thanks. it's the vegemite we have here...
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

diydave

yeraym

With my own layout, fab made pcb and board mounted pots this is as pro as I would ever be. Being my first designed PCB layout I made some obvious errors, the most noticeable one is that the pots works backguard, so I made it look like a design decision in my decal.

duck_arse

Quote from: darron on March 14, 2014, 04:08:38 AM

Quote from: peterg on March 13, 2014, 12:42:03 PM

thanks. it's the vegemite we have here...

darron, you wern't supposed to mention our secret hangover weapon.[

quote author=yeraym link=topic=96781.msg963836#msg963836 date=1394794777]
With my own layout, fab made pcb and board mounted pots this is as pro as I would ever be. Being my first designed PCB layout I made some obvious errors, the most noticeable one is that the pots works backguard, so I made it look like a design decision in my decal.

[/quote]

this made me laugh. I wish it were always that easy, like crackle ok.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

gena_p1

wildebelor

I can't think of anything funny just yet.

wildebelor

rousejeremy

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the elitist photo thread.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

TG Flatline

Quote from: yeraym on March 14, 2014, 06:59:37 AM
Being my first designed PCB layout I made some obvious errors, the most noticeable one is that the pots works backguard, so I made it look like a design decision in my decal.

I totally love that, good save!! :)

Will.mendil

@darron hi again. I just had a question regarding your video, when you are about to finish it you take out a sheet I rubber feet, I can easily find a set of 4 online ( which are in my opinion overpriced) but where do you get those sheets which will last me maybe a year ;)
Hope you see this message before it gets lost in the thread
Cheers
Don't know what to do with a paritculare transistor? Check this website where stompbox pedals are listed by what transistors they use

http://scfxguide.wordpress.com/

darron

Quote from: Will.mendil on April 12, 2014, 05:44:46 PM
@darron hi again. I just had a question regarding your video, when you are about to finish it you take out a sheet I rubber feet, I can easily find a set of 4 online ( which are in my opinion overpriced) but where do you get those sheets which will last me maybe a year ;)
Hope you see this message before it gets lost in the thread
Cheers

Hey, sorry I didn't see the question right away.

I got it from a local shop called Altronics (highly recommend people pay a visit if you're Australian, they crap all over Jaycar!)

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?search=rubber+feet&area=srch&Submit=SEARCH

I too am looking for something I can get a bit cheaper. It was a pack of 1,000 so in theory it made just under 250 pedals.

Sorry to over-post, I liked these photos. I put them in the main thread too:

Will.mendil

Yeah I saw them. It looks brilliant. How did you work the wood, it is wood? I mean the plate?
I don't live in Australia. I found some on eBay but I am not sure if they are any good. What kind of pedal is it? It does have a massive capacitor.
Don't know what to do with a paritculare transistor? Check this website where stompbox pedals are listed by what transistors they use

wildebelor

Yep it's wood and the design is laser cut.
Also, judging by the name of the pedal... I think it's a fuzz... :icon_lol:

darron

Quote from: Will.mendil on April 20, 2014, 07:36:05 AM
Yeah I saw them. It looks brilliant. How did you work the wood, it is wood? I mean the plate?
I don't live in Australia. I found some on eBay but I am not sure if they are any good. What kind of pedal is it? It does have a massive capacitor.

Yep, as said it was done with a co2 laser.
It's a 1,000uF over-kill low ESR cap. It's a PNP circuit with negative ground so it's the trick to stop oscillating. Normally I'd use a 470uf which looks more reasonable and it's still heaps. BFC.

Will.mendil

Wow. So you do have a hell lot of gear then. Pity you are in Australia

gena_p1

about 2 years of hard work, to put Soldano Supercharger in 1590bb and remove all noise.
box painted as ford mustang II

gtudoran

@gena_p1 :D the GTFO project that is posted here is the same thing GTO Supercharger in a 1590BB enclosure using SMPS PSU, nice build.

Some of our pedals and gizmos