TDA1517 bridging... Possible?

Started by edvard, March 22, 2012, 04:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edvard

I have a "junk box" (don't we all?) that has a few old ISA soundcards in it that happen to be populated with TDA1517's (couple TEA2025's too, but let's pretend they don't exist ;) ) and I can't resist putting salvage parts to good use.
I had the bright idea to bridge the outputs to get more watts out of them, but because of the super-simple construction of these little chipamps, you don't have access to both inverting and non-inverting inputs.

SO... I'm planning on running the inputs from a FET phase-splitter circuit; say a 2N3819 with 4.7k at source and drain.
Pretty sure that part will work, but before I blow something up, what do you guys think?
Would bridging be too much for the part?
It's the DIP package, so I'll have to get creative with heat management...
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

Gurner

Yes, that'll work....I'm sure you're aware that a bridged amp sees half the load, so you might want to up the impedance of the speaker you're using (or as you say, get creative with the heatsinking arrangments)

edvard

Oooh... so I could just use TWO speakers and make a mini-twin  ;D

The datasheet says that pins 10-18 on the DIP package are all internally connected, the SIP package has a tab for connecting to a heat sink.
Consequently, the junction-to-pins thermal resistance is twice that of the SIP package.
Ya think If I just soldered all 9 of those legs to a large copper pour on the board, and bolt a heatsink to that, it would be enough?

I'm still learning a lot about heatsinking, it's apparently an arcane black art that requires blood initiation to master...  :icon_eek:
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy