Using a Tube Screamer with a vintage Hammond B3 and Leslie 122.

Started by lowvolt, March 31, 2012, 07:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

your last comment makes me think that the voicing (caps) of the TS in general will not allow enough low end through to sound like the b3 we love.

sorry if i missed this in a previous post, but how are you testing this? do you have your own b3 and leslie that is  similar to the one you are making the device for thousands of miles away?
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

ashcat_lt

Have you looked at the maximum output voltage of this mic pre you're talking about?  Will it give you the 3V you're looking for, or will it fart out and distort before it gets that far?

I still don't understand why simply "scaling up" the TS and pseudo balancing the output won't work.  Your stated concern re: pseudo balanced was involved the Hammond's OT, which (I think) has nothing to do with what I'm suggesting.  Seems you've already figured out how to unbalance the B3 signal and get it into the TS.  Now you need to balance the output of the TS to get it into the Leslie.

I don't know for sure what the Leslie cable looks like.  The TS>TRS cables which I use to connect unbalanced gear to balanced inputs have are wired T>T, S>R, with the shield Not Connected on the TS side, but connected to S on the TRS end.  Is there some reason this won't work in your case?  "Hot" output from your screamer is the + input, "Ground" of the TS is the - input, and the neutral is connected on at the Leslie end.

If that ain't happening, you could split the Screamer output to an inverting buffer running off the same higher rails and use that for your - output.

Either of these options would seem preferable in every way I can think of to attenuating 35db (and why would you not just use a resistive divider for that?  You're doing it at the front end, then asking how to do it at the output?) and then using a whole other unit to gain back up.