Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

a nice sounding 386 based overdriver.

i know...NICE SOUNDING ?

well...imho  ymmv
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

digi2t

My favorite part... the expression on your face from 4:33 to 4:44  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Oh, ho hum... just another day at the office.

Sounds great bro! Well done.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

lol...you're the second person to say the exact same thing...lol. i guess i better watch it to see, lol...

glad ya approve. it's NOTHING inside.

literally...

got an input jack connected to the in of the 386 in parallel with a 10k pot with an .022 cap wired like the tone control of a guitar

a 1k linear wired as a gain pot (pins 1 and 2 connected) between pins 1 and 8

a diode clipper with assymetric 1n34a's...2 on one side, one on the other

a 100k output pot going to the switch/output.

putting that tone control at the front of the circuit completely changed the character of the effect.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

petey twofinger

your videos have a nice "laid back " style .

the pedal sounds great , after hearing so many negative comments about lm386 and the poor "release" , the sustain was fine .

i do miss the dog though .... you should bring the dog back sometime for a cameo .

maybe for a delay demo , rig up  a lil mic or something . pitch shifter / octave down would be awesome . WOOOOOFFFF !!!!
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

pinkjimiphoton

bella the wonder dog always steals the show...lol

900 lbs of rottweiler in an 8 pound dachshund!!

i like the echo idea...lol. i'll broach it to her next time she's stealing my lunch!! lol

yah, this thing sustains fine. and the tone control first fixes the fizzy fade out i think people bitch about.

it's a nice little box!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

petey twofinger

maybe you two could cover " seamus " , or perhaps something off animals , do i smell a homebrew vocoder somewhere down the line ?

if you could only train her to deal with a talk box tube , but that may permanently void the warranty .

that is good to know though , i have a few layouts that use th 386 so thanks for the tip .

LucifersTrip

very cool....hey, no matter how simple, you're supposed to include a schematic!

there's a couple spots in the vid when you turn up the distortion high, it actually sounds likes it's phasing?

one of the big complaints with the 386 is that it fizzes out on the decay...I did get that with a high % of the few I built with the 386, but on almost all occasions, that problem was solved with an electro (usually 47uF-100uF) across the rails

thanx for the vid
always think outside the box

pinkjimiphoton

i was in the kitchen,
seamus is the dog outside....

yah, that would be hip...maybe i can have her bark at the neighbors (HA! try and stop her!!) thru the vocorder in my old boss se50, with my guitar thru every filth box i have and a couple wahs and echos for noise mojo...and i can add it to the next version of "day after day"...lol....

she's a hoot. loveable little critter, hyper protective, and way too stupid to realize she's the size of a size 10 sock.

the pre-filter thing on the 386 is indeed a cool trick..it seems to smooth out the decay, maybe add a little compression it didn't have before. it sounds completely different, the original is basically forest whiteside's (transistors and beer, i think it is) dead easy dirt.

add volume control and gain pot, use ge diodes to make it clip. i mean, without the tone control, it was STILL kinda fizzy sounding. as soon as added a tone control at the end tho, it had plenty of output, but sounded muddy and nasal in a bad, stuffy way. but it sounded great with the guitar's tone knob rolled down. so i just picked an arbitrary value of pot and guessed at the cap...tried a couple pots, 10 k seemed good, so went with that. the location of the pot made the difference...you lose a little gain going in, but you gain a bit of what seems like compression...it's a PHASEY compression, too. really subtle, but there...and the rest of the circuit has enough gain to make up for the little lost on the input. gets it into a very "tubey" sound i didn't expect when the gain was down low, and when cranked like this long almost filter swept fuzz.

i am a HACK,. all capitals...so at best it's a happy accident...but it may be handy!

i'll up a vero and a schem if i can figure it out later.

peace

tried from 1 meg to 1k for the gain pot, too...1 k gave the best sweep.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

petey twofinger

i have an se-50 as well , i used to run the gr50 thru it .

there was a custom bank of patches programmed by scott summers (boss guitar division honcho) for the se50 . some really good patches , it had a "cooler" reverse gate setting on it .

thats a nice lil unit . would liked to get my hands on the 70 though , it had reverse delay .

how about the stepped phasers in that sucker  :icon_lol: , i used those on "do not eat the brown beans" a psychedelic cowboy instrumental that didn't work very well . 4 tracks may have been enough for the beatles but ....

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

schematic:

vero

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

rutabaga bob

Thanks for this!  I was sort-of planning to try the original, but this made up my mind.  Nice playing, as well!  Larry
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

pinkjimiphoton

thanks larry!
it's a simple build, but it sounds really good i think!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

here's a pcb layout too...should be fine, never tried a pcb before tho, so please let me know if it's good!!
;)

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

thanks to rutabagabob for the pcb/perf layout with mounted pots:

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

I was playing around with my cdod and remembered I hadn't checked out this vid yet. Gonna have to give this a shot... I'm digging on the sound. I'm thinking SWTC may work, as well, but I don't see it being as interactive as the tone control you have here.

BTW... sitting here watching and about died laughing... your eyebrows don't really move a whole lot, just chilled out, hangin out... until at 3:18 "get's a real woody sound" and your eyebrows dropped and did a quick pushup, flexed some muscle, then went right back to being laid back and just hanging out.  :icon_lol: I love your videos... Dino's are awesome, as well. I dig listening to his accent as he explains stuff. Keep it up, it's great stuff. It's like watching a live show, 1000x better than the Faux Pro reviews online. If I really want to just stare at a pedal during a review, I'll play the video and hit Google images, lol.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

pinkjimiphoton

lmao...i just try and do it like i'm goofing on whomever, not a stupid webcam. i don't take life too seriously, figure it's too damn short
to have a stick up your ass. and unlike alot of them videos, i'm not trying to sell something, so i have no agendas. that's why they're stupid pedal tricks.

i tried the swtc and bmtc on the end of the circuit, and they both pretty much neutered it. didn't wanna add any more transistors or chips or anything. that stupid little rip off
of guitar technology at the beginning of the circuit seemed to do the trick, maybe someone more knowledgable can figure it out.

but if ya think about it...if you're gonna lose gain, where better than at the input of the circuit? then, the circuit's amplifying the hell out of whatever signal you give it and putting out 100% of what it's got, rather than putting it out and then subtracting, which is what a normal tone control does.

all i do know is it combats the fizzys well the way i did it, and really didn't seem to affect the over all output of the pedal.

play with it, ymmv...i liked it like this, and out of all the schems i've dug up so far (about 5 gigs and counting) this is i think the only pedal i've seen with this set up.

peace!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

With the 50k internal resistor, when you turn the tone all the way down it is cutting the signal at about 145 Hz, if you consider that the .022 and 50k are a parallel RC shunt to ground. With the tone all the way up, you are running series RC at 720 Hz, paralleled with the 50k to ground, so I think it shelves the high end response (I'm at work, no fun sims to play with). That would explain why it still sounds so smooth all ballz out. Seems like when I try a tone, it goes from mud to rocks on a cheesegrater+kids screaming in the background. I think you hit the nail on the head with the pre-tone (preshape).
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

pinkjimiphoton

well, you just explained it!!
nice!!

yah, i get the same with standard tone controls...from useless mud to kids shrieking their fingernails on a blackboard.

and this way, ya STILL get plenty of gain, without the harsh...tell ya what, this circuit as forrest originally posted sounded good, but was very harsh and fizzy and had a crackly fade out.

not anymore...smooth fade, no cracklys...and just enough response to sound good. i may put it on my live board, i really like it.

thanks for the explanation!!

may come in handy for future projects, i wonder why nobody else has used it like that before?
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on April 05, 2012, 01:02:19 PM
may come in handy for future projects, i wonder why nobody else has used it like that before?

Not sure... probably concerns over impedance, maybe? I've been (forgetfully) interested in exploring the "Tone" section of my Phaser. It uses a similar concept of pre-shaping. On a side note about it, it is always in, so if I pull my phaser out of my chain, I get all sorts of high end nasties I didn't notice before, lol. If it ever breaks, a fundamental part of my sound goes kaput. Here's  the thread  and schem