stupid pedal tricks : stiff hippy II overdriver

Started by pinkjimiphoton, April 02, 2012, 03:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prabuchresno

I use new board, I just hijack LM386, 220uF, input jack and pot from the ruby amp :). Yes, agree, ruby is great mini amp, here I just want to try another cool sound.
Later I will buy all the hijacked component and put back to my ruby amp. Here I use your schematic to describe what I've done:

pinkjimiphoton

ok, if you're gonna use it without the speaker, ditch the 100k gain pot... that's most likely f'n you up.  instead of seeing the 8 r speaker load, you're giving it more than 100k.
also, the diode clipper may not work in this kind of config... you may need to move them so they are directly after the 220u cap, or just before it. right now, they're in parallel with the speaker,
which is effectively a dead short to the amplifier.
i'd pull them out of there, too.
you need something to drive them into clipping... the 386 can do that, but not if it's gonna feed a speaker, too. and there's no where to patch a diode clipper in before that.

sorry, it just won't work like that. if ya want a speaker, you are gonna have to ditch the clipper and the 100k pot, and add a gain stage before the chip, and put your diode clipper there, instead.
look at the ruby amp schematic, and put the diode clipper right after the output cap between the jfet and the 386. that's about the only way to pull this off.

you're gonna want more than unity gain on the jfet, too, so look up biasing them... instead of using the 1.5m cap from input to ground, you may wanna use a pot so you can vary the gain.

sorry i can't be more help!!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

prabuchresno

Thx Pinkjimmi. I'm sorry to waste your time for answering my question.
I end up decide to convert it to overdrive effect (as your genuine schematic) and try to modif the ruby amp as your suggestion.
Thx again, you're very helpful. :)

pinkjimiphoton

no worries man.... hope it's working for ya soon!!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr