Something new in footpedals.

Started by Mark Hammer, April 02, 2012, 08:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiges_ tendres

95% of pedals never even see a stage.  They stay in bedrooms and hang out in garages.  So most of the above points are null and void.

Try a little tenderness.

DDD

Tht synth's sound seems to be not impressive at all, and the wah pedal looks not comfortable.
The ideas are progressive, the hardware needs to be heavily modded.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Somicide

Quote from: The Tone God on April 03, 2012, 07:39:07 PM
I've been playing with sensors on rocker pedals for a bit since I moved on from proximity controllers. There are three things I see wrong with this design.

1. You cannot mount this to a pedal board.

2. You cannot remove your foot to leave it set in a "sweet spot".

3. You have to calibrate the thing pretty much every time you turn it on. PITA

Andrew

1.)  Imo, BFD; keep an extra strap of velcro handy for moving/storage.

2.)  That depends on how creative you are ;).  Keep a chunk of wood handy  :icon_lol:  Seriously though, someone mentioned putting the motion sensitive parts in a treadle and keeping the "standard shape" if you will, and I do agree that would be easier for a roostered-wah sound.  (filter caught my original spelling  :icon_rolleyes: I think you catch my meaning haha)

3.)  No more PITA than any other setup at a gig.  You still need to tune, connect, supply power, etc, etc, etc.  1 button press, heel down, another button... not exactly a deal breaker for most people, TBH.  We are so particular about every other setting that we meticulously alter components and twiddle knobs, why should this bother ANY of us?
Peace 'n Love

DougH

Quote from: DDD on April 04, 2012, 03:25:18 AM

The ideas are progressive, the hardware needs to be heavily modded.

Welcome to the world of Electro Harmonix! Where your dreams are a thin piece of folded aluminum and a fragile 9v battery connector away from reality! ;-)
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

diydave

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on April 04, 2012, 01:21:54 AM
95% of pedals never even see a stage.  They stay in bedrooms and hang out in garages...

My Boss Digital Delay has a bunch off tweaks, presets and whatnots. Never use them. You just can't use that kind off stuff in a live rock 'n roll band situation.
And chasing a wha around on stage....  :-\

cloudscapes

Quote from: The Tone God on April 03, 2012, 07:39:07 PM
I've been playing with sensors on rocker pedals for a bit since I moved on from proximity controllers. There are three things I see wrong with this design.

1. You cannot mount this to a pedal board.

2. You cannot remove your foot to leave it set in a "sweet spot".

3. You have to calibrate the thing pretty much every time you turn it on. PITA

Its a nice step but I think players really want to have that rocking mechanism even if its just a single moving plate.

Andrew

not to mention it'll slide around if you're one of the more enthusiastic players.

this plus the rocking tells me it'll be very hard on jacks/cables. sure it's only a couple degrees.... repeated two hundred times a gig..  :o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

Jdansti

Large neodymium magnets on the pedal board and inside the pedal at the place where the pedal would be at a neutral position would keep it in place and still allow it to rock (pun intended).   Another option would be to build a curved section on the pedal board to accommodate the shape of pedal and keep it in place.

As for the cables, purchase (or invent) swivel plugs. Better yet, have pairs of Bluetooth transmitters and receivers that take the place of the short cables between stomp boxes.

This all seems like a long way to go to get away from mechanical pots. I'll stick with my 35-yr old Cry Baby.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

vendettav

I think Kirk hammet might be really happy about this. Will definitely get it mounted in his shoe!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

Earthscum

I think Sketchers and EHX should team up... make the "Hammet Boot"  :icon_lol:

Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

garcho

I'm in a band that usually plays a few songs in the audience. Most of the band plays brass or drums, but there's a couple of us running around playing guitars through 386s coming out of loud speakers bolted to hockey helmets. I always wanted to make a wah pedal I could squeeze with my armpit while I run around like a freak. Now I know that's the second dumbest idea for a wah pedal.

Don't knock Kurt's wah usage, it's light years better than James Hetfield's country-metal singing!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"