a very hard to find 2N2222, help please

Started by EATyourGuitar, March 22, 2012, 11:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EATyourGuitar

in a TO-92 package written line by line just like this

2N
A 338

I built a pedal for someone with these transistors and a tantalum cap. nothing else even turns on with this circuit. my suspicion is that they start turning on with very little current flowing to the base. I have tried 2N2222 from other suppliers and I can not even get the circuit to work at all. its also possible that the tantalum cap has failed and its only working because of a freak accident. I'm not sure, but I think I will be good if can track down these transistors. thanks guys and girls.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Ice-9

It could be the pin out is just  different
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

DiscoVlad

different pinout is likely:
e.g. a local supplier in Australia/NZ http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZT2298 has them in either EBC or CBE configuration.

I prefer the TO-18 case ones for this reason, the tag is ALWAYS the emitter... Which I just know someone is going to post an example of where this isn't the case, so I'll add check the data sheet for the actual device (i.e. same manufacturer) that you're using!

EATyourGuitar

this is not the case. I have verified the pinout with my atlas DCA55 transistor tester. I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting this one with voltages logged and parts swapped. the transistors I used before where getting totally different voltages with the same setup. decreasing my supply resistor does not do it since Q2 is intended to leak a little current before both Q1 and Q2 have any current flowing to the base. I can not get these transistors to turn on unless they leak or have higher gain. maybe I'm hunting for the wrong thing. maybe I should just go try some leaky transistors.

its this thing that is giving me trouble

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=91764.0

PRR

> voltages logged

What ARE those voltages?

The circuit is not fussy. It may be easier to debug from the voltages than to find your magic '2222.
  • SUPPORTER

EATyourGuitar

I breadboarded it again today and it just worked! voltages are

8.7v = V+
5.5v at the collector of Q2
the rest is pretty close to what Gus had on his schematic. transistors are about 215Hfe. the 100uf is an electrolytic.

I have made a few of these before and there was always some radio noise. I would just run a 15k from the tip to ground on the input jack and it kinda worked. but now I did it the right way and used and RC filter calculator. I settled on a 47pf + 470k RC low pass filter. then I changed the input cap from 47n to 10n. its perfect now. no unwanted noise and it cleans up really good with the guitar volume knob. almost passable as a clean boost but it can get some amazing distortion with the guitar wide open.